PDA

View Full Version : all glass megaflow plumbing ?

luvreefs23
03/04/2008, 11:06 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive never had a tank that utilized a sump and recently bought a 90 gallon with the mega flow and plumbing kit. Im wondering if its required to glue that pvc kit together or if the tight fit is sufficient and also how tight do u tighten the bulkheads at the bottom?

sjames
03/04/2008, 11:11 AM
hand tight is usually sufficient for bulkheads. or hand tight plus a 1/4 turn.

kielty
03/04/2008, 11:14 AM
Ditto sjames...and no the plumbing should be dry fit so you can
get it out to clean as necessary...be carefull adjusting your overflow durso not to pull the botttom fitting out of the bulkhead...which in turn drains the entire back overflow...if your
sump level is near the top....=wet floor and cursing..came close to
that setting mine up luckily the level in the sump was low.

Blown 346
03/04/2008, 11:31 AM
I myself use a little teflon tape on the threads of the bulkheads, like said above hand tight and 1/4 turn. As far as the plumbing in the drain area I wouldnt glue those, if you want to clean them you can easilt pull them apart.

luvreefs23
03/04/2008, 11:38 AM
Another question, for the return bulkhead i have 2, one is a 3/4 universal and the other is just a 3/4. Which one am i suppose to use....whats the difference?

TheMcs
03/04/2008, 11:52 AM
Ditto on teflon tape for the threads.

Your 2 return bulkheads should be 1 that has a nozzle fitting attached, and one that has the standard opening for 3/4" PVC. Use the nozzle if you're going to run tubing from the pump to the bulkhead, and the standard bulkhead if you're going to hard plumb it.

luvreefs23
03/04/2008, 12:20 PM
I dont understand the last post. They both look identical. One just has a larger diameter but both say 3/4. One says aga-3/4U and the other is aga-3/4. Im going to hard plumb it.

Drewsus1010
03/04/2008, 12:34 PM
well since were talking about a megaflow plumbing kit...i have a quick question. On the return 3/4inch pipe there is a small hole under the elbow at the top. I realize that this so water doesnt syphon down into the sump during outages....but when water is flowing through this elbow will bubbles get sucked into the flow by venturi..???

Thanks
-Drew

kielty
03/04/2008, 01:04 PM
Hey drew, to answer your question . No, as the water level will
be above that hole when the tank is running. I don't trust that as a anti siphon so my outlets are high enough that they grab air when the return pump shuts down.

Luvsreef...the diff. in the two fittings is that one is 1" dia.
at the tank side and one is 3/4". I think you will find that only
the 3/4" will fit as that is the size of the hole cut in the bottom of
the tank...I beleive it is in the box if you wanted to go 3/4" return in the 1" hole. Make sense? I just set up my 110 AGA so I'm just learning as I go as well.

FastFish720
03/04/2008, 02:47 PM
Just a thought, the AGA Megaflow system has extremely poor design if you prefer hard plumbing.

But I personally prefer to glue down everything. So I would glue the drain and the return line. It's just the piece of mind that knowing the return line won't pop out in the middle of the night and spray water out onto your floor.

JKDMan
03/04/2008, 03:55 PM
on the mega flow tanks youll have a 1 in drain and a 3/4 in return

i disagree with fast fish i have a 180 with the mega flow and i hard lined it very eaisly .i just used smooth bulkheads instead of the ones that came with the kit, didnt even glue the pvc together,just pushed it tightly togother been fine like that for about 2 years now no problems at all

about the hole in the return line by the elbow ..its not enuff to break the siphon so make sure your lock line in in a postiton where it will be exposed to air before your sump overflows or when u turn off your tank you wont back siphon and have a flood

Drewsus1010
03/04/2008, 06:59 PM
alrighty...i will move my outlets to just below the surface....thanks for the advice!

-Drew

Roy G. Biv
03/04/2008, 07:16 PM
I have a megaflow that ha been setup for about a year. When setting it up, I glued everything. So far there hasnt been a single reason to pull it all apart. As stated above, I like the piece of mind that its not going to fall apart in the middle of the night.