PDA

View Full Version : Return Pump Advice

logiktest
03/04/2008, 02:27 PM
I would like some advice on submersible return pumps please. I am starting a 10 gallon display tank(softy's), with a 10 gallon sump/fuge. I have been having a hard time deciding what pump to use because most every web site I visit has no information about the amount of flow at a given head hight for small pumps. I have estimated the head pressure for this return system to be about 5'.

MarineDepot only offers this information on via aqua(a hard to read graph) and mag drive pumps... So, I saw a used mag2 at my local frag swap for $15, but when I had a chance to come back to the table and buy it, it was gone. No biggie, but so far the mag2(75gph@5') or mag1.9(100gph@5') have been some of my best guesses for the correct pump to use. I suppose I could get a larger pump than necessary and just throttle it back with a ball valve, though I would prefer to keep my power consumption low.

Here are a few questions:

What brand/model pump would you use for the return and why would you use it?

If I can't find a pump that fits this application, would placing a ball valve on the output side of a larger pump be a good idea, or would it just build up heat?

If I'm missing some important bit of information, please ask. Thank you for your help.

Agu
03/04/2008, 06:46 PM
I'm using a Maxijet 1200 at 3' of head plus 3 elbows. It moves enought to rotate the Hydor but doesn't run the water through the sump tank too fast. Since my sump has a display that's an issue for me. I guess it's turning over about 100+ gph at that set up.

In addition the maxijet is cheap and has a small footprint.

logiktest
03/04/2008, 07:57 PM
Agu, thanks for your reply. How long do you think a MJ1200 will last pushing 5' of head? Would it shut off with too much head, or just burn out after a while? I'm having a hard time figuring out how much pressure/flow all these small pumps can handle/create.

NanoReefWanabe
03/04/2008, 08:04 PM
with 3/4" plumbing you would be good using a mag3

logiktest
03/04/2008, 08:20 PM
NanoReefWanabe, thanks for your input. I thought that the mag2-7 are supposed to use 3/4, even though the pumps input/output are 1/2. Are you suggesting that at 5' head, using 3/4 tubing, I would not get 210 gph?

cherubfish pair
03/04/2008, 09:21 PM
When I had my 10 gallon display with sump I used a Mag Drive 2. I put a ball valve on and played with the flow to fine tune the water going through the overflow. Too much flow and my display water height was precariously high.

logiktest
03/04/2008, 09:42 PM
cherubfish, how large was your overflow? I plan to use a 1" drain pipe. BTW, I saw your maine coon picture. Pipsqueak does look like a werewolf.

cherubfish pair
03/04/2008, 10:09 PM
There's a lot about the overflow on this old upgrade thread, but don't remember which page:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1011802&referrerid=61488

Pipsqueak says thanks for the complement.

logiktest
03/04/2008, 11:06 PM
cherubfish, your overflow looked nice (page 4). After reading the whole thread, you once mentioned using two 1/2" bulkheads(page 1), but I'm confused, did you use these for the overflow and return... or both for overflows?