PDA

View Full Version : need a lil help on DIY sump

PmPrepGuy
03/04/2008, 03:59 PM
I wanna make a custom sump out of acrylic glass, Just wondering if anyone knew the sealant i need to use the thickness of the glass. Trying to go about 30 inches wide. Was also wondering if i should even bother using partitions, im not gonna put a fuge in the middle ive got a 20g fuge running inline already just trying to get a bigger sump so its easier for me to do maintance and just keep things running right. Also if i get this right, when i plumb from my main tank to my sump would i be able to plumb it going down at an angle then shooting striaght across and then down agian without slowing my drain speed that much ? Thanks for reading lemme know what you all think and if you have any other tips for me

J~

PmPrepGuy
03/04/2008, 07:23 PM
*bump to go to the top*

PmPrepGuy
03/05/2008, 05:26 AM
bump

overflowin
03/05/2008, 06:42 AM
weld-on number 4, made by ips plastics. look in your yellow pages under 'plastics' and buy it local. if you have it shipped i believe you have to pay hazmat fees...

masharp1126
03/05/2008, 11:36 AM
You'll need baffles in it to help with micro-bubble elimination. Running the pipes that way shouldn't slow the water flow down, what kind of flow will you be running through it?

PmPrepGuy
03/05/2008, 04:48 PM
ive got a mag 9 running to my main tank right now. and about the weld - number 4, what is that exactly, and the micro bubbles ive got those bad right now, i converted a 30g long turtle tank into my sump and the partions i had in it all blew out from the flow, so thats why this time i wanna make sure i get it all right

overflowin
03/05/2008, 05:14 PM
weld-on is a solvent cement...

you should spend some quality time reading this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96763&perpage=25&pagenumber=1) before tackling an acrylic project... lots of good info and good people with tons of knowledge.

donnie