PDA

View Full Version : Film on water

lanzera34
03/04/2008, 08:47 PM
I have a film forming over the top of the water in my tank. I have an overflow box that flows into a sump, where I have an aqua c remora hanging as my skimmer. After going flowing over filter material it is pumped back up into my tank. I have the return line and a powerhead breaking the surface of the water, but I still have this film forming. What can I do to resolve this situation. I have cut back on feeding, I have cleaned the powerhead for the aqua c remora, I have cleaned its injectors, but I am still not having any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

demonsp
03/04/2008, 08:51 PM
Whats the return pump size?

gmax111
03/04/2008, 08:53 PM
yeah i have a similar question... is your film in your sump?

I've always had a film covering the water surface in the refugium part of my sump (where my chaeto is)... i've put in a maxijet to break the surface tension but the film just moves to a corner that doesnt have the water rippling so much... Do others have this problem and is it worth fighting? and how do you get rid of it?

Aquarist007
03/04/2008, 08:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12011843#post12011843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lanzera34
I have a film forming over the top of the water in my tank. I have an overflow box that flows into a sump, where I have an aqua c remora hanging as my skimmer. After going flowing over filter material it is pumped back up into my tank. I have the return line and a powerhead breaking the surface of the water, but I still have this film forming. What can I do to resolve this situation. I have cut back on feeding, I have cleaned the powerhead for the aqua c remora, I have cleaned its injectors, but I am still not having any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am having same problem after installing a romora--and with lots of surface agitation. I believe the problem is that the water level has to be maintained at just the height of the overflow fins--what I think is happening is backwash.
I got a korilia 2 directed across the surface area but I think I am going to step it up a notch.
the temptation is to but it in front of the overflow but that is not a good idea because you are going to be counterproductive to the flow into the skimmer

Aquarist007
03/04/2008, 08:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12011896#post12011896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gmax111
yeah i have a similar question... is your film in your sump?

I've always had a film covering the water surface in the refugium part of my sump (where my chaeto is)... i've put in a maxijet to break the surface tension but the film just moves to a corner that doesnt have the water rippling so much... Do others have this problem and is it worth fighting? and how do you get rid of it?

just take a plastic big spoon or paint stirrer until you have gotten rid of it--it is stagnant or organic laden water so its best to push it long to the skimmer

Agu
03/04/2008, 09:06 PM
It's called a protein slick. Reduce flow to the surface and drag a paper towel over the surface of the water. Won't completely remove it but the yellow paper towel indicates you've removed it instead of just moving it.

Aquarist007
03/04/2008, 09:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12012033#post12012033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
It's called a protein slick. Reduce flow to the surface and drag a paper towel over the surface of the water. Won't completely remove it but the yellow paper towel indicates you've removed it instead of just moving it.

does it have anything to do with the level of the water going into the internal overflow for the remora---it just started on mine after I installed it--before I just had a hob with not problems

bryanvin
03/04/2008, 09:31 PM
Dont have sump or overflow yet, but i do have the prefilter box for my Remora Skimmer. As long as the water level of the intake in the prefilter is lower than the level of the tank, it skims all the film off my surface just fine.

takes a little bit of adjusting to set the prefilter at the desired height so that the amount of water spilling over it matches the pumps flow rate, then i lift the prefilter up for a sec so that the prefilter intake will drain a little, and thus lowering the level within the prefilter intake, which in turn will basically skim the surface for you

Agu
03/04/2008, 09:42 PM
which in turn will basically skim the surface for you

Basic issue, do you have a mechanism that skims off the water surface ? Just dispersing hides the problem but doesn't eliminate the cause.

bryanvin
03/04/2008, 09:50 PM
The prefilter box for the Remoras skims the surface, no dispersion, the film flow into the prefilter, sucked up by pump, and injected into the protein skimmer to be removed.

However i believe the one who started this thread says that he has a sump fed by an overflow box, which I would imagine works in the same way as the prefilter for the Remoras do as far as skimming the surface of the water.

AZDesertRat
03/04/2008, 10:29 PM
The best method of removal is float a couple of paper towels or sheets of newspapers on the surface and they will draw it out like a sponge.

Aquarist007
03/04/2008, 10:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12012830#post12012830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
The best method of removal is float a couple of paper towels or sheets of newspapers on the surface and they will draw it out like a sponge.

i hear you and Agu and understand the best removal. I am just curious why this problem is occuring with remora skimmers with the internal overflow/prefilter box. I did not have this problem with a basic hob filter:confused:

bryanvin
03/04/2008, 10:44 PM
Can't help you on that one, only been using the Remora so dont have experience with anything else to compare too. Maybe someone more intelligent than I could chime in. Maybe try posting in the Lighting, Filtration section for some more input. Sorry couldnt be of any more help.

gmax111
03/05/2008, 04:37 AM
they say that some dissolved solids have to have a longer air contact time in the skimmer for them to be skimmed out.. maybe the skimmer is not the best for this type or film/dissolved solid... and so its going to the skimmer then right back into the tank..

sjm817
03/05/2008, 06:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12011843#post12011843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lanzera34
In order for an overflow to surface skim, the water must "fall" into the overflow. The water level in the inside of the overflow has to be lower than the level on the outside. The level inside the overflow must be lower than the bottom of the teeth for it to surface skim.

BTW, the Remora is at best a mediocre skimmer. With a sump there are many far better choices.

Aquarist007
03/05/2008, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12014379#post12014379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
In order for an overflow to surface skim, the water must "fall" into the overflow. The water level in the inside of the overflow has to be lower than the level on the outside. The level inside the overflow must be lower than the bottom of the teeth for it to surface skim.

BTW, the Remora is at best a mediocre skimmer. With a sump there are many far better choices.

Ed, is there anyway to set the remora overflow like that--I'm doubting it without a durso??

will16
03/05/2008, 12:24 PM
That paper towel on the surface thing is brilliant! I have the same thing and have been skimming the surface manually with a small container. Can't believe i didnt think of that! Thanks!

lanzera34
03/05/2008, 03:20 PM
So I think I have figured out my problem. I am getting the surface scum because my water is not flowing into my overflow box. Instead the level inside the overflow is the same as the level of my tank. How can I correct this problem. I never had this problem, until about three weeks ago, and I have been using the overflow for several months. I looked for an adjustment on it, but it is maxed out to the top. I am running a mag3 pump as my return. Thanks for any help.

lanzera34
03/05/2008, 03:24 PM
I did make an adjustment on my return. I was smart enough, (since someone told me) to put a ball valve on my return line going over to my chaeto compartment of my fuge. With a little trial and error I now have my water falling into my overflow and I hope this will remove my scum. Another question for you all. What is the best method to get rid of hair algae. I have cut down on feeding, and my light cycle. It seems to have helped some, but I will be starting up a 65 gallon very soon and I do not want to transfer that problem to my new tank. Thanks.

bryanvin
03/05/2008, 03:27 PM
Id say use a fluidized reactor with Phosban or other type gfo. The chaeto in the fuge will also help with reducing both nitrates and phosphates, the food sources for algae.

Aquarist007
03/05/2008, 04:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12018143#post12018143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lanzera34
I did make an adjustment on my return. I was smart enough, (since someone told me) to put a ball valve on my return line going over to my chaeto compartment of my fuge. With a little trial and error I now have my water falling into my overflow and I hope this will remove my scum. Another question for you all. What is the best method to get rid of hair algae. I have cut down on feeding, and my light cycle. It seems to have helped some, but I will be starting up a 65 gallon very soon and I do not want to transfer that problem to my new tank. Thanks.

there are some tips for fighting algae on this thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1329802

sjm817
03/05/2008, 05:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12018143#post12018143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lanzera34
If the water is falling into the skimmer box, the scum should clear very quickly.

Aquarist007
03/05/2008, 09:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12019205#post12019205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
If the water is falling into the skimmer box, the scum should clear very quickly.

sjm--I don't think you can do that with the Remora internal overflow box--it maintains the same height in the overflow as the surface of the water. a stronger pump possibly then the maxijet1200 that came with it?

bryanvin
03/05/2008, 10:18 PM
capn, i am able to set the level of the prefilter for my remora so that the water level in the tank is higher, just have to adjust ever so lightly, its a pain but ive gotten the hang of it. Since not using a sump, i have a float switch attached to a dosing pump at such a height that if the float mooves 1/16" the top off pump kicks on, but thats just my set up.

sjm817
03/05/2008, 11:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12021112#post12021112 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
sjm--I don't think you can do that with the Remora internal overflow box--it maintains the same height in the overflow as the surface of the water. a stronger pump possibly then the maxijet1200 that came with it?
I'm referring to an overflow, not a Remora.
The OP has an overflow and a sump with a Remora in the sump, not a Remora with a skimmer box.

Aquarist007
03/06/2008, 08:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12022296#post12022296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
I'm referring to an overflow, not a Remora.
The OP has an overflow and a sump with a Remora in the sump, not a Remora with a skimmer box.

thanks--I guess I need to read entire posts from the beginning each time

and thanks bryanvin---I'll try that tomorrow