PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse disease.....Please help......

Jagermeister
03/05/2008, 08:56 AM
Well, I posted this in the fish disease forum but it doesn't get the traffic that this forum does. It had 9 views over the last couple of days.

I just lost a third wrasse to what I think is a mystery disease. I'm calling it a mystery disease because I've done a lot of searching and can't find any information about it.

Late last summer (around August) I introduced a large yellow wrasse into my reef. Very colorful and very active. About a month after that addition I introduced a melanurus wrasse. The melanurus did really well for about three weeks. Then one day I noticed that he was swimming around with his mouth constantly open. It seemed as if he couldn't close it. The following day he was swimming awkwardly and by evening he was laying in the corner of the tank. That night was the last I saw of him.

Approximately two weeks after the melanurus disappeared, the yellow wrasse started exhibiting the same behavior. At first his mouth was open as if he couldn't close it. Still swimming around strongly but just not closing his mouth. I tried a few times to catch him to put him in a hospital tank but there was no way catching him in a 120 reef. Over the next day or two he progressively got worse, started swimming akwardly, until finally he was laying on his side on the sand. That's when I was able to catch him and put him in a qt tank. I added prazipro thinking it was internal parasites or gill flukes but he didn't survive the night. Was Prazipro the wrong medication?...Or was it too late?......

During this time there were several other fish in the tank that were fine including: 2 false percs, potters wrasse, blue star wrasse, leopard wrasse, possum wrasse, jawfish, 3 cromis, and a sailfin tang. All the water parameters seemed to check out, ammonia zero, nitrites zero, nitrates zero. Tons of sps coral growing like crazy.

I waited a couple of months befor adding any other wrasses and after experiencing no other problems I introduced a radiant wrasse. He's been doing fine and is still going strong. About three or four weeks ago I added a christmas wrasse. He was doing great until a couple of days ago I noticed him swimming around a little akwardly with his mouth open. Uh oh..........And this was after qting the Christmas wrasse for about a month!

I've desparately dosed my reef with Prazipro. About ten minutes after dosing, the Christmas wrasse is laying on his side way back inside a cave in the liverock. Everyone else is fine and eating, including all the other wrasses. The Christmas wrasse has now died. I saw his body on the sand bed way back under my rock work, impossible to get him out wthout tearing the tank apart. The cleanup crew will make short work of him.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of disorder? Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

I have another melanurus wrasse that's been in qt for three weeks now that I was soon going to add to the reef. But now I'm not so sure. Whatever disorder this is it seems to affect the Halichoeres genus. Again, all my other wrasses are doing fine.

Thanks.

EllisJuan
08/30/2015, 05:37 PM
There is a Carpenter's wrasse in my brother's 180g exhibiting the same symptoms. Anyone have any insight on this?