PDA

View Full Version : i hate my aquascape

Nyxe
03/05/2008, 09:45 AM
So for no particularly good reason I fiddled with my LR today. I had a vague idea of making my aquascape nicer looking and just went to town on it.

Of course I just ended up making things worse.

I think I'm going to have to set up a bucket station and completely redo my aquascape, again. But not today. My hands are already all shrivelled from spending so much time underwater.

So.

Will it be so terrible to take out all (or most) of my LR, put them into buckets of saltwater and put it back in? I'll be expecting a mini-cycle, but hopefully nothing too devastating.

Will it be a problem that the LR will no longer be sitting on the bottom, but on top of sand? I have a 2" SB. Will it be enough support to just push them into the sand?

I'm so frustrated with the aquascape. It seems that my LR is upside down. Smaller rocks on the bottom with huge rocks on top. Coral placement is an issue, since I don't have a lot of lighted areas with my current aquascape.

Argh. Wish I hadn't touched it. It was 10x better before.

handtlkr
03/05/2008, 09:49 AM
I re-did mine. Took most of the LR out and put it on a plastic sheet, arranged how I would want it in the tank, and then speedily put it all back in. Looks good to me now...who knows in 6mos to a year?

fishkid6692
03/05/2008, 09:54 AM
i just put all of my live rock in a bucket. then i rearanged it because i need space for coral.

ledford1
03/05/2008, 10:03 AM
For your hands, gloves are a great idea for working in the tank. Getting a handful of bristles will reinforce that idea as well. Admittedly, I bare-hand it most of the time myself.

It's not uncommon to fidget with your aquascape. We're always trying to improve things in our tanks.

Got any pics? That may allow people to chime in with ideas.

Esquare
03/05/2008, 10:17 AM
You may want to be careful about placing the rock ontop of the sand as it will increase the possibility of rock slides, don't know how far you were planing on pushing it in.

jrod11
03/05/2008, 10:32 AM
I have spent the last 6 months putting my hand in my tank without gloves. I broke out in this weird infection on my elbow about 2 weeks ago. All is fine now, but i just orded some aquatic gloves. I also recently learned that zooanthids (which i have a lot of ) carry a toxin that can make you very sick. Maybe some gloves would be beneficial for you as well?

GBE378
03/05/2008, 10:32 AM
My LR has sat on the top of my sand for almost two years and never has a problem. Some of my fish have even made burrow between the sand and rock and still haven't had any of my rocks move.

Esquare
03/05/2008, 10:33 AM
Also, I've heard pieces of PVC resting on the tank bottom under the sand provide a good solid base that elevates your rock without the added dangers of rock slides.

Nyxe
03/05/2008, 10:49 AM
I don't have those gloves that go all the way up your arm. The only gloves I had handy were food-grade plastic gloves so I used those. I've been waiting for my LFS to get those aqua gloves in, but they haven't yet. I may have to order on-line soon.

I'll post up some before and after pictures sometime later this week when I get a good chunk of time to overhaul my tank.