PDA

View Full Version : cleaner shrimp

jamest0o0
03/05/2008, 02:05 PM
Well I just got 2 scarlet cleaners and they seem to be doing great and are getting along, they just molted as well.... but I noticed on both of them they have like a black spot idk loks like dirt kinda... anyone know what this is?

Fish_wiz2
03/05/2008, 02:29 PM
Could be a mark because it seems mine has one too but by his tail

Headache
03/05/2008, 02:32 PM
Hmm if its raised, Id do more research to get to the bottom of it, but if it seems flush with thier carapace, i bet its just thier coloration. Mine also has them by the tail.

jamest0o0
03/05/2008, 02:45 PM
it does not seem like it belongs there, but I really have no idea what it could be

greenbean36191
03/05/2008, 04:16 PM
There are numerous "diseases" that cause black or brown spots in shrimp. They've mostly been characterized by what part of the body they affect rather than the causative agent. As a result, most are untreatable and the protocol is just to separate any unaffected shrimp and to just make sure water conditions are good.

The spots will gradually get worse, but usually disappear with molts and then return. Some of the diseases are reported to kill the shrimp, but given the short lifespan of these shrimp anyway, there shouldn't be a noticeable difference.