PDA

View Full Version : LiveAquaria wrasses experiences

Philwd
03/05/2008, 03:07 PM
Looking for experiences here. How many people QT'd thier wrasses from LA? I know they have a great 2 week QT regimen. Curious to see if anyone's fish showed problems. I'm getting the big laboutei. I have a QT to use but I'm also getting a royal gramma that has not been Qt'd and I don't want to mix the fish unless I have to.

Thanks
Phil

ezcompany
03/05/2008, 03:15 PM
i only qt la fish for a few days just to check for obvious signs. after that it goes straight into the tank, very healthy and beautiful.

snorvich
03/05/2008, 03:22 PM
Never a problem with a variety of wrasses.

bdif
03/05/2008, 03:41 PM
just got 4 yesterday. finespotted, scotts, carpenters & filamented. all look terrific as does all LS I get from them. Straight to display last night after lights out.

Toddrtrex
03/05/2008, 04:19 PM
I got one at least 7 months ago. Went right into the tank, been healthy as could be the whole time. I've never had any issues with the fish that I've gotten from them. Never QTed any of them.

OranguTang
03/05/2008, 04:27 PM
Never had a problem with any fish from LA.

Philwd
03/05/2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks eveyone. Makes me feel better.

just dave
03/05/2008, 11:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12017985#post12017985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Philwd
Looking for experiences here. How many people QT'd thier wrasses from LA? I know they have a great 2 week QT regimen. Curious to see if anyone's fish showed problems. I'm getting the big laboutei. I have a QT to use but I'm also getting a royal gramma that has not been Qt'd and I don't want to mix the fish unless I have to.

Thanks
Phil

Their QT, which is a minimum of two weeks according to their site, is only on the fish from their Divers Den section. The others ( most /all) are coming straight to you from wholesale facilities (kinda like a drop-ship.) The same facilities that supply other sites and LFS. I'm not trying to scare you , I deal with at least one of the same suppliers and I'll say that I've had nothing but good experiences with them. However, if you don't QT you are just rolling the dice. Even on fish that DR F&S have QT and while they probably do an exemplary job they are people and something could get past them and the simple truth is that if something does slip through it's you and your fish that will suffer. Now having said all that , if you choose not to you'll not be alone as most people don't QT either and most that do do so because they paid the price when the dice didn't fall their way.

Philwd
03/06/2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks. One fish is Diver's Den and one isn't. I just didn't want to mix them if I didn't have to(kind of defeats part of the purpose of Diver's Den). Only have 1 QT system. The gramma from Wisc is definitely going into QT. It's the wrasse I'm unsure of. I know it's rolling the dice somewhat. But they've done everything I would have done plus some; de-worm, FW dips, baths for crypt etc. Fish shows up tomorrow. So have another 12 hrs or so to think it through.

Snowboarda42
03/06/2008, 02:29 AM
QT everything.

techreef
03/06/2008, 12:02 PM
I asked on the Liveaquaria forum about their QT procedures. Here's their response (not limited to just Diver's Den animals, but also not inclusive of all animals F/S on Liveaquaria)

techreef,

This very rigorous procedure is followed with all specimens that enter our Aquaculture Coral & Marine Life Facility. Each specimen goes through the same quarantine period however this period may become more extensive if the species is prone to illness, for example all of our Clownfish are observed extensively for signs of Brookynella. If you have any further questions please contact us.

Joyce F.
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster & Smith

here's the thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1229416

just dave
03/06/2008, 12:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12025347#post12025347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by techreef

This very rigorous procedure is followed with all specimens that enter our Aquaculture Coral & Marine Life Facility.

That's just the animals that come out of WI. A lot of the animals people order do not / did not and come out of CA and I think some do / did come out of FL. This is not a bad thing, it's just that a lot of the animals on their site do not go through their facility. They come from certain wholesalers and the like and are sent straight to the customer. If you are counting on their rigorous QT procedures to save you the trouble of doing QT yourself you need to find out if the particular item(s) your after have gone through their QT in WI. Admittedly this may have changed/ in the process of changing /going to change but very recently it was not so . I have had fish come to me and my friends from DR F&S that their point of origin was the same as one of the wholesalers I use. In other words they came straight from that wholesaler to me and them. It's no secret. QT everything yourself and you need not ever worry.

Philwd
03/06/2008, 01:43 PM
Hmm. The Diver's Den wrasse came from Ca. and the gramma from Wisc. So the wrasse wouldn't have gone through the QT??

Toddrtrex
03/06/2008, 01:46 PM
Philwd -- I am fairly certain that I am right, but.....there is a chance I am not.

Think that all the Diver's Den stuff comes from Wisco, and the "normal" livestock from Ca.

techigirl78
03/06/2008, 01:50 PM
When I got shipments in the past, the Diver's Den fish came from CA while the others came from WI.

Toddrtrex
03/06/2008, 02:02 PM
Hmm, interesting. All of mine came out of Rhinelander. I am having something from DD coming on Saturday, will check the tracking.

Toddrtrex
03/06/2008, 02:30 PM
Philwd, asked about it in the F&S forum, DD items do come from Wisco. When I order I try not to mix the two so I don't have to pay extra shipping.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12026482#post12026482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dfs/la2
Philwd,

Thank you for your question. We apologize for any confusion. All Diver’s Den fish are shipped from our Aquacultured Coral and Marine Life facility in Rhinelander, Wisconsin including your Cirrhilabrus laboutei. The second part of your order that contained the Royal Gramma Basslet is the package that shipped from California.

Tina
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com)

Philwd
03/06/2008, 03:01 PM
I must have confused the 2 shipping notifications. There were 2 separate shipping charges and I thought I had it straight but guess not. That's what I get for checking tracking notices in the morning before my coffee.

Toddrtrex
03/06/2008, 03:04 PM
lol

I am the same way in the mornings, but with a smoke ( got to quit ) instead of coffee.

techigirl78
03/06/2008, 03:43 PM
I thought my diver den item came from CA, but looks like I was wrong based on the F&S response. Last time I ordered was over a year ago. Sorry!

yoboyjdizz
03/06/2008, 05:45 PM
Im pretty sure they qt all there fish from both places. Drivers den are just their pick of the best of the best.

yoboyjdizz
03/06/2008, 05:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11946081#post11946081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dfs/la2
Theclearblue,

Thank you for contacting us with your questions. We apologize for the confusion. LiveAquaria.com does not own this facility; however, a number of their staff is dedicated to our shipping needs specifically. The fish that we ship from here are packaged by these employees and sent in our high quality shipping containers. We have an inventory held at this facility and the live items we sell are properly quarantined and fed prior to being released for purchase. We hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Stacie R
Technical Support
Live Aquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com/)

SpiritRift
03/06/2008, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12026834#post12026834 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
lol

I am the same way in the mornings, but with a smoke ( got to quit ) instead of coffee.

just think of each smoke as 15 minutes of your life and it depends how much you value that 15 minutes and what you could do with the extra time.

Macimage
03/06/2008, 09:25 PM
I didn't think they qt their Calif. shipments, as I understood that they are drop shipped from a CA wholesaler.

Joyce

yoboyjdizz
03/06/2008, 11:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12030114#post12030114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
I didn't think they qt their Calif. shipments, as I understood that they are drop shipped from a CA wholesaler.

Joyce

That last quote i posted was their response on their Calif shipments.