PDA

View Full Version : Alright, dead fish, and hermit eating them.

sly65sally200
03/05/2008, 05:49 PM
It was two weeks ago, my red spotted blenny died...a huge hermit was eating it...Now my flasher wrasse is dead, and hermit at that one..I would say he's well over an inch or more long...I have checked all water pm's...even went to the store to have them checked. The hermit is blue and has white and black bands.
Do you think he kills them while they are sleeping? I also have an emerald crab. I don't know what is happening.

sk8rreefgeek
03/05/2008, 06:03 PM
I doubt you checked "ALL" pm's. you'd probably need to post your results. Also, LFS's saying "everything looks fine..." does not hold much weight IMO. What all did you test?

How long has your tank been running? size? etc

off subject, I've seen a starfish eating a dead fish, a girl said "oh my god! that starfish killed that fish!"

silverwolf72
03/05/2008, 06:12 PM
Crabs will eat anything they can get a hold of, if they are well fed they are less likely to go after fish. or your fish could have died first or were sick and were easy prey

Blown 346
03/05/2008, 06:45 PM
I would steer my eyes towards the emerald crab. Crabs feed at night, it is very easy for them to catch a resting fish for an easy meal. they are all optunistic feeders and will take what they can fo rfood regardless of how well they are fed.

sly65sally200
03/05/2008, 06:56 PM
I have a 125g...will be a year old next month...w/ aqua c180 protein skimmer, berlin sump, uv ster, phosphate reactor. I have the liquid test kits, I might not have checked "all" my peremeters (like trace elements), but...My calcium is 450, ph 8.1, nitrite 0, nitrate .10, ammonia 0, chlorine 0, and and temp is 81.

I checked my salinity with a refractometer...35ppt or 1.025.

The fish was actively eating yesterday...And as for the lfs checking it, We stood their for 15 mins, while rob-who we know and trust, checked the pms...

I've read somewhere that the larger zebra crabs will eat slower moving fish. The crabs should be well fed, I feed flake and pellets alternatiing days...mysis shrimp and plankton every two to three days.