PDA

View Full Version : livestock list for 29

joshalicialtjt
03/05/2008, 08:00 PM
Ok other than the usual blood shrimp, few skunk cleaners, crabs, snails, and star or so what should I toss into my 29.
We are already sure we want an ocellaris pair because my girlfriend is in love with them as well as getting a pygmy cherub angelfish. What else could I put in the tank with them other than the typical royal gramma, cleaner gobies, firefish, etc. Is there a particular species of wrasse that would look great in the tank. Thanks in advance for any kind of help that you are able to provide because when I used to be on here in the past years and years ago I remember how helpful everyone was with sharing experiences and knowledge. :)

Bernie21
03/05/2008, 08:16 PM
Im a little unorthodox but I have:
2 clown fish
1 Starry Blenny
1 Neon Goby
1 Tonga Coral Beauty Angel
1 Rock Beauty

Now Im in the works of an upgrade so that the Rock Beauty can grow in to. My fish dont fight and dont pick on my corals neither. Gl!

Snowsrfr
03/05/2008, 08:46 PM
McCosker's flasher wrasse......

joshalicialtjt
03/05/2008, 10:02 PM
so . . . . I made a preliminary list but any more ideas or swapping of fish for something else is greatly appreciated.

Pair of False Percula Clownfish- Amphiprion ocellaris

One of the following:
Shrimp Goby, Pink & Blue- Cryptocentrus leptocephalus
Diamond Goby- Valencienna puellaris
Golden Headed Sleeper Goby- Valenciennaea strigata
Other suggestions for a goby are greatly appreciated 

One of the following:
Dusky Wrasse- Halichoeres marginitus
Pinstripe Wrasse- Halichoeres melanurus
Rooster Fairy Wrasse- Paracheilinus sp

Really wanted my the girlfriend and I despite the small size of the tank
Yellow Tang- Zebrasoma flavescens

5 Scarlet Hermit Crabs- Paguristes cadenati
10 Hawaiian Zebra Hermit Crabs- Calcinus laevimanus
2 Cleaner Shrimp- Lysmata amboinensis
1 Fire Shrimp- Lysmata debelius
10 Nassarius Snails- Nassarius sp
5 Mexican Turbo Snails- Turbo fluctuosa
Chocolate Chip Starfish- Protoreastor nodosus

Illuminati
03/05/2008, 10:31 PM
Why even consider a Yellow Tang knowing you can't provide a suitable home for it?

If you want a yellow fish a Yellow Assesor is a better option.

Also ditch the chocolate chip starfish these are terrors and will attack everything including fish.

aural
03/05/2008, 10:44 PM
I second the Yellow Assessor... and if you find them, get me one too. I've wanted one of those for like 3 years. they have such cool personalities - i'd love to have one in a tank.

joshalicialtjt
03/05/2008, 11:07 PM
Should I stick to more of a linkia star then? I used to have a blue in my 125 and it was the greatest thing ever that somehow survived the worst of times.

joshalicialtjt
03/05/2008, 11:08 PM
What about a Lemonpeel angel instead of the tang, im not a fan of the assessor . . .

InLimbo87
03/05/2008, 11:19 PM
IMO the lemonpeels will get too big for a 29, and will also not be reef safe. I think your haphazard "throwing in" of livestock will surely lead to a tank crash if you don't be careful.

I would stick to 4-5 fish max, and no tangs. As for shrimp, I would stick to only 1. Starfish are also not well suited for a tank that size.

Good luck with the new tank! Hope everything goes swimmingly :D

joshalicialtjt
03/05/2008, 11:47 PM
ok I got overrexcited because of the whole starting a new tank thing so I listed some crazy stuff. Oh and I know for a fact Tangs won't work but wanted to show the gf everyone else's opinion so thanks for that.
Realistically here is what I am looking at doing but want to add one fish to the list. Looking for some green or blue to the tank and I pray that nobody types out damsel or chromis lol.

Tail Spot Blenny- Ecsenius stigmatura

Royal Gramma- Gramma loreto

1 Cleaner Shrimp- Lysmata amboinensis

Bernie21
03/05/2008, 11:54 PM
In my tank I have 3 scarlett cleaner shrimps and 1 fire, so they could be alright. Golden head sleeper goby can get up to 7" and require alot of substrate. I would recommend a Rainsford goby, it has nice colors. doesnt get bigger than 2.5" & also sand sifts over the golden head sleeper. Just from my experience.

roushracer
03/06/2008, 12:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12022282#post12022282 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joshalicialtjt
ok I got overrexcited because of the whole starting a new tank thing so I listed some crazy stuff. Oh and I know for a fact Tangs won't work but wanted to show the gf everyone else's opinion so thanks for that.
Realistically here is what I am looking at doing but want to add one fish to the list. Looking for some green or blue to the tank and I pray that nobody types out damsel or chromis lol.

1 Cleaner Shrimp- Lysmata amboinensis

There you go, now that's a good stock list right there!

It's a lil heavy on the clean up crew, so you may want to start out a little lighter first and add more if what you have isn't getting the job done.

joshalicialtjt
03/06/2008, 12:36 AM
I figured a bit heavy on clean up but my non marine OCD kicks in and I want everything spotless lol

joshalicialtjt
03/06/2008, 01:42 AM
Revised list of fish . . . . what do we think about this one?

One of the following:
Blue Flasher Wrasse- Paracheilinus cyaneus
Carpenters Wrasse - Paracheilinus carpenteri
Filament Flasher Wrasse- Paracheilinus filamentosus

5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs- Clibanarius tricolor
5 Hawaiian Zebra Hermit Crabs- Calcinus laevimanus
2 Cleaner Shrimp- Lysmata amboinensis
5 Nassarius Snails- Nassarius sp
3 Mexican Turbo Snails- Turbo fluctuosa

thanks again for all the help :)

Brent F
03/06/2008, 02:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12022743#post12022743 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joshalicialtjt
Revised list of fish . . . . what do we think about this one?

One of the following:
Blue Flasher Wrasse- Paracheilinus cyaneus
Carpenters Wrasse - Paracheilinus carpenteri
Filament Flasher Wrasse- Paracheilinus filamentosus

Here's a picture of similar stocking in my 34 gal. I have the Pair of False Percula Clownfish and Carpenters Wrasse in this picture (with a chalk bass). Needless to say, I like your list ;)
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj252/Brent_F/IMG_0193.jpg

joshalicialtjt
03/06/2008, 10:54 AM
haha nice sounds like we may have a winning list then :)

coralmike1
03/06/2008, 06:16 PM
i would say a mystery wrasse or a yaz-haze goby with shrimp. great fish love them.

joshalicialtjt
03/06/2008, 07:31 PM
not really interested in a shrimp goby pair again, did that once not interested in it again really. Saw a few carpenters at the store today but I figure it will be the last fish I add so I will just wait and see how my other inhabitants are doing and then go from there.