PDA

View Full Version : tang/angel for a 120?

MegsB
03/05/2008, 10:02 PM
Im upgrading from a 65 (3X1.5X2) to a 120 (4X2X2), i have 150 lbs of lr, and will be doing a 2.5" sandbed. I will be running the tank with a 72 gallon sump/fuge (split) with lr, ls & macro algeas, it will have a Euro-Reef RS180 (i think, not bought yet), and i like higher flow, so will have around (if not over) 35X turnover. The inhabitants that will be moving are...

yellow tang (4")
coral beauty (2.5")
lemon gobys (2X 1.5")

i am hoping to add a nice tang and possibly angel (reefsafe as i have lots of nice coral and inverts), i would really like a sailfin tang(would be bought at smaller-medium size), and i will be upgrading my tank in 2 years (when we buy a house) to probably a 6' long 280 (i just dont have the space right now for a larger tank, plus having to move it would suck, when we move we are going to have the new set-up all ready for the livestock and just sell the old tank).

cwoods8
03/06/2008, 09:19 PM
Two tangs in a 120 is a crapshoot.......(could work....and could be a disaster)

might be safer to add at the same time.

same goes with the centropyge.

You know what would be nice in there... a Goldflake angelfish:D

mattsilvester
03/07/2008, 06:49 AM
MegsB,

If you choose the correct species, 2 tangs in a 120 should not be a problem. But a sailfin is not what I would consider the "correct" type.... something that stays smaller than 6", and is not super aggressive..... so no naso or acanthurus tangs, not a hippo / regal tang, and not the big zebrasomas. "intending" to get a bigger tank is well and good.... but in the mean time if you experience unforeseen delays in your plans, which most people do, the fish will suffer and you'll end up having to trade him back.....

Angels.... I suspect you are referring to "large" type angels. THe only two that I could even contemplate for a 120 would be a regal or majestic...... the fromer is quite difficult to keep, and is for expereinced keepers only, the latter will outgrow your tank in a couple of years and will need a bigger tank by then, but they grow realtively slowly.... so if you got a large juv. or very small adult (a changling would be ideal) you should be ok for 2-3yrs.

Dwarf angels..... well really I wouldn't put more than one in your tank unless you were trying to extablish a hareem of dwarfs.....

HTH

Matt

MegsB
03/07/2008, 10:58 AM
after more research into the angels there dosent seem to be one i like that is reefsafe so i will probably just go with one more tang. i know people with multiple tangs in systems 90+ with no problems at all. (my mom has 2 yellows and a hippo, they are very nice fish and they get along so well- granted they came with the set-up, a 90, we wouldnt have put that many together ourselves, and she will upgrade when need be) i work for one of the lfs (a truly rare lfs, who does care about everything they sell, unlike a few others in my area- it is the only one i would work at) and know lots of people with large tanks, so if my plans for my 280+ happen to fall through i have lots of back ups who would love to take a nice tang off my hands, and care for it properly. i would be looking at getting a smaller tang to grow it out, and will have quite a bit of open swiming space (only 150 lbs lr), so i think if i got a sailfin small enough (my yellow is pretty passive) i shouldnt have a problem? or is it really not enough space? even if it was small? i really love tangs, i could never get rid of my yellow, i adopted it off someone (who was giving a few fish away to just about anyone) luckily i got it, it had a pretty shitty diet and she had given up on her tank so her water quality was ****, the poor tang has messed up fins, luckily with proper diet a little tlc and good water he is doing excellent (save for his poor fins, though they havent gotten any worse)

the others i was considering are...

powder blue (i know ich prone and a bit more touchy)
chevron (i have heard can be hard to keep properly fed?)
kole
purple

i do regular 30% water changes ever other week, feed daily a good variety (including nori and spyrolina cubes for my tang) and have excellent water quality.

flameangel88
03/07/2008, 03:17 PM
Which ever 2nd tang you decide you should at least get them in at the same time if not before the YT because the YT will get very aggressive with new comer. As for adding an angel, Goldflake will work and also take a look at Genicanthus angels.

Not sure if the YT can work out with the Purple.

mattsilvester
03/07/2008, 04:20 PM
my yellow and purple only just get on in my 240..... i think they would kill each other in a 120.... personally.....

powderblue - whilst I think the tank isn't really big enough, its probably a better choice than the purple.....

chevron - dunno, never really ahd much to do with them, maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

kole is by far the best choice, but really needs to go in before the yellow, in my view.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12033524#post12033524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MegsB
or is it really not enough space? even if it was small?

If you work in an LFS then you will know how quickly a properly fed tang will grow..... in 2yrs I see no reason why a properly fed sailfin would not grow from 2-3" to 6-8" ....... so in short, the answer is, in my view - Yes, there really is not enough space.... if your happy with the idea of caring for a fish and growing it on, and looking after it, only to pass it on to someone else - fair enough...... I know personally I would be gutted growing on a small tang only for someone else to reap the benefits of my labour.....

Good decision on the angel, in my view.

HTH

Matt

Monstrigity
03/07/2008, 06:38 PM
I agree with Matt. I have a couple fish that I have grown from little pups and I wouldn't sell them for all the tea in China, but if that doesn't bother you go for it. To be honest with you, I have had a clown tang in a 120 gallon with my PBT for over 1.5 years. Both are fat and healthy and get along great. Now before anyone puts a hit out on me, I am in the process of setting up a reef tank with a total volume over 500 gallons. I will be moving my clown tang, emperor angel, and powder blue tang to that system. Just as a disclaimer I would never suggest keeping any one of those fish in a 120 let alone all three of them.

MegsB
03/08/2008, 01:10 AM
i was hopeing to add whichever i chose at the same time when i do the tank swap, so that my yellow has no established territory, because it will be a new tank/rock arrangement. i would be interested to hear any input on the chevron and kola tangs.

my lfs that i work for dosent have tangs for very long, they sell quickly because we dont get many in, we have a few 'store' tangs in our coral tanks for algea (120's), but i have only been there a few months.

punky34
03/08/2008, 05:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12021491#post12021491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MegsB
Im upgrading from a 65 (3X1.5X2) to a 120 (4X2X2), i have 150 lbs of lr, and will be doing a 2.5" sandbed. I will be running the tank with a 72 gallon sump/fuge (split) with lr, ls & macro algeas, it will have a Euro-Reef RS180 (i think, not bought yet), and i like higher flow, so will have around (if not over) 35X turnover. The inhabitants that will be moving are...

yellow tang (4")
coral beauty (2.5")
lemon gobys (2X 1.5")

i am hoping to add a nice tang and possibly angel (reefsafe as i have lots of nice coral and inverts), i would really like a sailfin tang(would be bought at smaller-medium size), and i will be upgrading my tank in 2 years (when we buy a house) to probably a 6' long 280 (i just dont have the space right now for a larger tank, plus having to move it would suck, when we move we are going to have the new set-up all ready for the livestock and just sell the old tank).

here is my 97 gals with angels and tangs...don't hurt me please...the fishes have been in the tank for over a year and the corals are thriving.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/mutjjeng/My_Pets/IMG_5508.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/mutjjeng/My_Pets/IMG_5509.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/mutjjeng/My_Pets/IMG_5482.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFgHz7BB0DQ

DarthSimon
03/08/2008, 05:30 AM
I am certainly not going to hurt you. I have a bigger tank than you, and have less fish. But I know my tank is overstocked... I have a fantastic skimmer, 150 LBS LR and do water changes every 2-3 weeks.....

If your system is working, and your fish are happy, then enjoy yourself....
People will come on here and tell you that your tank is over stocked... They are correct... To many Tangs in one tank usually leads to disaster....

What is your fish count?? My eyes see at least 30?? And 10 larger sized fish...

MegsB
03/08/2008, 11:00 AM
wow lots of tangs! i see 12 tangs and an angel? and a mass school of chromis (and something else i cant tell what they are, pseudochromis or some sort?), must do some huge water changes in there!

any input on the kola and chevron tangs anyone? ill wait on the sailfin until i get my larger tank i think, if they grow that fast.

mattsilvester
03/09/2008, 04:43 AM
here is my 97 gals with angels and tangs...don't hurt me please...

LOL ...... I'm not going to "hurt" you either :)

What do I think? I think it looks great, they all appear healthy, BUT in my opinion it is way overstocked. Classic case of just because you "can" do something, it doesn't mean you "should"...... but you obviously know what what you are doing, and obviously you are happy with everything....... its not my place, or anyone else's for that matter to ridicule you.....

Would I recommend it? No. Is it for me? No. But your tank looks sweet and it shows what can be done, if that is how you want to do things.

Thanks for sharing

Reeftanks6
03/09/2008, 07:37 AM
Agree with statement above that is a great thing to say. I think your tank is a overstocked but it looks awesome with all those cool fish in there. How is the aggression level?

Bax
03/09/2008, 11:12 AM
MegsB

I have a 120 set up now and I actually have my 220 sitting dry inmy shop. I still am very carfull about adding tangs to my 120. I have a YT, a fox face and a rabbit, I'd love to get a second tang but I'll wait fro the 220 to be flowing first. I also have a coral beauty and it owns my 120, there'll be no new angels either until the 220.

If you do add either QT then first and move everyone in before any one fish stakes a claim to the entire tank.

I agree with a Majestic or Regal as best angel choices.

Chevron & Kole are also good tang choices.

Good luck!

MegsB
03/09/2008, 12:03 PM
i think i have pretty mych figured out what i want as my final fish list..

have:
yellow tang
coral beauty
2 citrus gobys

add:
chevron OR kole tang
royal gramma
mandarin (after new tank has been up for a few months, even though the rock is well established)

possibly a few more small fish, well see how adding these guys go once i get the new system up (soon! yay)

mattsilvester
03/09/2008, 01:33 PM
Sounds good MegsB -

Just one more word of caution. I often read that the statement "move the rocks around in the tank before you introduce a new tang to an existing one as it disrupts any territorial claim......". In my view, that is a myth...... the tank is the "territory" and the rock only forms part of it..... it helps a little bit, but in my view and experience its not as much as people think.

My point....... if you are going to q-tine the new tang (which would be a must, again in my view and experience), then what I would advise would be to catch the existing tang and then swap them aroun for a few days..... i.ee put the yellow tang into the q-tine tank for a couple of days...... just a couple of days.... 48 hrs..... then you should be all but gauranteed sucess ;)

Good luck,

Matt

Reeftanks6
03/09/2008, 01:41 PM
yes that yellow might be a little aggressive to the new commer of the tank. Just make sure you take catuion in doing this. You can move the rocks around and you can put a mirror up to the tank and that will destract the yellow because he doesnt know what to go for himself or the other fish.

MegsB
03/09/2008, 01:58 PM
yes i plan on adding them both to the new system at the same time, the yellow wont know it was the same rocks he was with before as they will be arranged differently, my only concern is that i shouldnt add any sensative fish into a new tank, so are the kola and chevron tangs hardy enough? (im only getting one, not sure which yet) or i can leave the 65 up with the tang and a small ammount of rock for a few weeks to let the tank stabilize then add him back in and the new fish as well, i just want to make it easiest on my fish.

-should i qt both the tangs in the 65 for a while before i add them into the new system (will be up very shortly), or is that to small a space and will just cause more stress/fighting? i dont have another tank for qt, but if i want to add them at the same time and qt the new fish...

Reeftanks6
03/09/2008, 02:45 PM
OK sounds good.