PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Conductivity

mkrupp
03/06/2008, 11:54 AM
Hello,

I purchased the extended version of the Profilux which included the conductivity expansion and probe. Is this card/probe suitable for use in freshwater? I realize it came with the calibration solution for saltwater but is that all I need to change?

Thanks,
Mitch Krupp

AQD_ottawa
03/06/2008, 11:56 AM
yes you can you just need 2ms solution and recalibrate to that.

We will get some in next shipment as we are expanding more into the hydroponics market also

jdjeff58
03/06/2008, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure how critical your fresh water measurements are, but I think it might be worthwhile to know that there are 2 conductivity cards available. The fresh water card is ranged at 0-2000uS (or 0-2 mS). The saltwater card is ranged from 0-100ms. If your concern in freshwater is slight changes to conductivity then you might not see those changes however slight with a 0-100mS card. The difference in those two ranges is pretty significant.

I would also be concerned about the probe since Profilux does make a distinction between the two that are available for this controller.

AQD_ottawa
03/06/2008, 08:02 PM
Just to clarify this.

The platinum probe can be used for both fresh and saltwater.

if you want to measure low value conductivity you do need the 2ms conductivity card.

To clarify further, you can not use the graphite conductivity probe for salt water.

mkrupp
03/07/2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess I should have checked this out before purchasing the kit with the 0-100mS card.

jdjeff58
03/08/2008, 04:31 PM
Just to clarify this. Get the right probe/card for freshwater and the right probe/card for saltwater. You'll save a few bucks on the freshwater and you'll have the CORRECT PROBE for the job.

AQD_ottawa
03/08/2008, 04:43 PM
The platinum probe which mkupp has can be used for both salt and fresh water. It is the graphite version that is for fresh only

It is only the card that is different.

So he does have the correct probe, in fact he has the best probe.

jdjeff58
03/08/2008, 05:10 PM
Whatever you say. Weren't you the same guy who said all he needed was the 2mS solution?

AQD_ottawa
03/08/2008, 05:21 PM
In respect to your statement, yes you are correct BEFORE noting they had been supplied a 100ms card.

We are the distributors of GHL North America/Canada, and as such charged with the first line of support for users of the GHL product range, so we would like to think our knowledge of the product line is pretty much on the ball. But we very much welcome everyones support help to users of GHL's forum.

If you have any concerns about our support that is offered please feel free to email us directly.

Hope that clarifies and reasures.

Best wishes
Aqua Digital Inc
GHL ProfiLux Official Distributors

mhurley
03/09/2008, 07:27 AM
All due respect, jdjecc, this is a sponsor paid forum, and he's asked you to not participate, I think it's wise to honor that request.

Thread closed.