PDA

View Full Version : Importing and exporting live fish

shabreeson
03/06/2008, 05:36 PM
how does one do it? I have heard of people collecting their own fish but how do you go about importing them into the us? I looked up on the usda website and they accept almost all live fish.

"Live finfish of most species may be imported into the United States without import requirements from USDA. However, 8 species of fish that are susceptible to the disease Spring viremia of carp (SVC) have recently come under USDA oversight. These species are: common carp, including koi carp (Cyprinus carpio), goldfish (Carassius auratus), grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus), silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix), bighead carp (Aristichthys nobilis), Crucian carp (Carassius carassius), tench (Tinca tinca), and sheatfish (Silurus glanis)."

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/marine_import_fish.shtml

JHemdal
03/06/2008, 09:16 PM
USFWS and US customs are the two agencies that are going to be involved in importing aquarium fish. The basic process goes like this: HIRE A BROKER!(grin).

Actually, you need to be near a USFWS port of entry airport. There used to be just nine of them, but there may be more now. LA, Miami, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, etc. You can get a port of entry exemption for other international airports, (Detroit, etc.) but it is time consuming, and they may not grant you one. The next step is to e-file your 3-177 for the incoming shipment at least 72 hours in advance. You will pay USFWS a fee ($95?), including their overtime if the shipment arrives after hours. I always DO hire a broker at this point - they clear customs for me and meet with USFWS if they choose to inspect your shipment. Then, I pay a $25 processing fee at the airline counter and get my fish.
This process is a HUGE hassle unless you are a business and do it all the time. I've only brought in a dozen or so shipments over the years and each time I forget a step, or they change things on me. I've never had it happen, but if you mess up, they'll hold your fish - and they'll die of course.
If you can convince them that the fish you are bringing in are for personal use, you might be able to get around the customs issues, but as far as I know, USFWS is still going to want to be involved.

JHemdal

shabreeson
03/06/2008, 09:56 PM
so you absolutely need a broker? how much do they charge?
how do you usually have the pet shipped? through the airline as baggage or carry on? separately?