PDA

View Full Version : Am I cycled?

kirkaz
03/06/2008, 08:33 PM
This is my first time setting up a tank (had a 135 for 5 years, but came with our previous house), not sure if I am ready for fish or not...Here are the stats.

240 FOWLR
140 lbs. LR..about half was uncured
40 lbs. Crushed Coral
120 lbs Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Reef Substrate
I have a refugium in the sump, but waiting on a light to do it
Water in and raw shrimp (for 3 days) 2 weeks ago tomorrow...had ammonia spike and then nitrite spike
Current #'s ammonia 0 (for a week now), nitrite 0 (for 4 days now), nitrate 0..I have never had any nitrates, this is what's throwing me off. I have thrown in a little flake food the last 3 days....oh yeah, ph 8.4 and salinity is good
I have tons of brown algae growing as my UV had a broken part that should be here tomorrow.
Plan on Male and Female Bluethroat Triggers as the first fish in.

Where do I stand?

Thanks

Blown 346
03/06/2008, 08:39 PM
Sounds like the tank has cycled. The Crushed coral I dont like.

MTB
03/06/2008, 08:44 PM
I agree with Blown 346. I would think about taking the crushed coral out. It really wouldn't hurt to wait another week or so to make sure those params stay stable.

kirkaz
03/06/2008, 08:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12029700#post12029700 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown 346
Sounds like the tank has cycled. The Crushed coral I dont like.

Well I don't like your Corallife Superskimmer....Just kidding, thanks for the response. I like to do a small amount of CC, as triggers and puffer seem to like to "mess" with it, and its great for helping ph IMO....I assume you just worry about nitrates with it??

Blown 346
03/06/2008, 08:51 PM
Yes, nitrates are one of the problems. I agrre with you on the triggers playing with it. I had 2, a picasso and a Niger, they bith picked it up and spit it everywhere. Sand would make a huge mess, ask me how I know. As long as you keep it vacuumed you should be ok.

kirkaz
03/06/2008, 09:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12029812#post12029812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown 346
Yes, nitrates are one of the problems. I agrre with you on the triggers playing with it. I had 2, a picasso and a Niger, they bith picked it up and spit it everywhere. Sand would make a huge mess, ask me how I know. As long as you keep it vacuumed you should be ok.

I do vacuum about a 1/3rd every water change, and thats the same trigger combo I had in my previous tank....Thanks Blown