PDA

View Full Version : T5 or PC

MarkD40
03/07/2008, 08:56 AM
I am setting up a frag tank in a drilled 40 breeder AGA that is 16" deep. The top level of my egg crate is 8" below the surface. I am ready to purchase my lights. I am deciding between a 2X39watt T5 fixture (10,000K & actinic), or a 1X96watt smartpac PC with a 10,000K/actinic bulb. I have experience with PC's but have never had a T5 fixture so I need some advice.

Also, considering the shallow depth of the tank do you think one fixture is enough? The tank is 18" front to back.

Comments please. Thanks!

p4ck37p1mp
03/07/2008, 09:36 AM
T5 is the way to go, I'm replacing my PC lighting with T5 as we speak. Far more light for much less wattage. Bulbs last longer as well.

TKByrnes
03/07/2008, 09:38 AM
I would go with the t5 also. If you can spare the cash the outer orbit 24" 150 watt hqi with t5 actinic or pc actinic whichever you choose. They run about $350

HowardW
03/07/2008, 09:43 AM
<<< I am setting up a frag tank in a drilled 40 breeder AGA that is 16" deep. >>>

What type of frags? If you are doing SPS frags then the single 96W PC lamp probably won't cut it long term for optimum color and growth and I would do a 4X39W T5 with good individual reflectors, or at the least the 2X39W T5's. If you do the 96W PC then I would do 2 of them, but the T5's will be a better option IMO.

fuschia_red
03/07/2008, 09:49 AM
no doubt. T-5's are better. Less wattage; little heat dissipation; better light output; bulbs last forever (well...not exactly but they do have a pretty good life) and IMO...cheaper than PC's overall; not to mention nicer looking overall and take up less space.

Logzor
03/07/2008, 09:50 AM
Go with T5's.

PC's drove me insane. Well, mostly because I had a crappy fixture and the endcaps would not connect easily, resulting in many broken bulbs. I got the impression that PC bulbs put out less power and were more expensive, so I switched. Glad I did, new bulbs are like 20 bucks and last about a year (more if cooled properly).

I picked up a tek fixture. Easy to install; they are nice, clean, and simple and an over all good value. They have a more expensive fixture, not sure how much better it is.

Also, look at aquaactinics, they have awesome fixtures too, but I am not sure if they carry the size that you need. I know tek and others do.

Go with reefgeek (my opinion from experience). They have great service.

If you are serious about sps and want to grow like mad get the widest fixture you can fit on there (check out their lights on the website). I have 4x54w on my 55 gallon (standard) and grow anything that I want.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

MarkD40
03/07/2008, 09:52 AM
I have HQI MH's on my display with dual 96 watt PC's. I just spent $280 replacing the bulbs and want to avoid that kind of outlay on a frag tank if I can get good coral growth with T5 or PC bulbs only. I figure with the ability to place light loving corals only 8" below the lights I should get a enough PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) on the corals to satisfy their needs.

MarkD40
03/07/2008, 10:03 AM
My initial frags will be softies and LPS corals because that is what is overgrowing in my display tank. (Hence the need for a frag tank!) I have a couple of SPS corals but they are still too small to frag. I would like to grow SPS corals eventually. The SPS corals would be put on the top row of eggcrate 8" below the light so they should get enough light. The T5 and PC fixtures I am looking at are "only"around $100 each so I will probably get two to adequately illuminate the the 18" of water surface. Again, having experience with MH and PC lighting only I need opinions on T5 lighting.

MarkD40
03/07/2008, 12:05 PM
So it looks like the consensus is T5. Thanks.