PDA

View Full Version : UV filters + polarizers

PSam
03/07/2008, 11:51 AM
The shop was out of 72mm UV filters when I bought my camera the other day, so I've been searching online. The price on the ones the shop carried was about $60.00 for UV filter only, and I see some packages on ebay of various prices, some packages for UV + polarizer, ranging from $20 to $200.

Are they all created equal? I'm assuming not based on pricing. I'd like to order one today, at least the UV to protect. Any advice or good brands to look for would be great. Thanks.

BlueCorn
03/07/2008, 12:27 PM
This is almost a religious issue when brought up around professional photographers.

I never use a UV filter on the end of my lens. If conditions require it, I frequently use a polarizer. When I use filters they are B+W multicoated. When you consider how much money a quality less costs it doesn't make sense, at least to me, to obscure it's view with a $20 piece of glass. Everything that light passes through impacts your image quality. If you decide that you want to use one, don't go cheap.

spline9
03/09/2008, 06:34 AM
If you dont trust yourself and have less_than_professional habits on how to care for your equipment, it may be better to have a UV lens on. If you accidentally scratch the front element of your lens, it'll cost a bit to have it repaired. Now if your UV was there, you only need to replace the filter.
Besides, if you have less_than_pro habits, your expectations are probably just the same. You may not notice the difference, especially if you arent working with high-end glass to begin with.

But, to each his/her own. :)

Beerguy does make a good point. If you have a good lens, why degrade the image quality with a poor filter? If so, you've effectively decreased the value of your (probably)expensive lens. I, myself am about to buy a B+W multicoated 77mm circular polarizer. Its not cheap but will be worth it.

FWIW, UV filters live on my lenses but I have been known to remove them on occasion.

PSam
03/10/2008, 12:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12047008#post12047008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spline9
If you dont trust yourself and have less_than_professional habits on how to care for your equipment, it may be better to have a UV lens on.

So a UV filter it is for me ;)

B&W seem to be one of the better ones, no? Saw some comparison page (http://photo.net/equipment/filters/) and they seemed to have one of the highest % of light transmission, while still blocking UV...?