PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic versus glass

foxesreef
03/07/2008, 02:41 PM
Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of each system? I have always had glass......but I do see acrylic for sale on here and am wondering the benefits versus glass.

Thanks

WinnipegDragon
03/07/2008, 02:49 PM
Acryclic Pros:
Lightweight
Optically superior
More flexible/less likely to crack

Acryclic Cons:
The big one: scratches very easily.

If you are not looking at a huge tank where weight is an issue, get a low iron (i.e. Starfire) tank, it has better optical properties than regular glass, but won't scratch like acrylic.

flyyyguy
03/07/2008, 03:23 PM
Both of my displays are currently acrylic..........and they will be the last acrylic displays I ever buy

Starfire fronts and sides with extra thick glass in back will be my next tanks...it could be a while though.....

Blown 346
03/07/2008, 03:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12035391#post12035391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Acryclic Pros:
Lightweight
Optically superior

Acryclic Cons:

If you are not looking at a huge tank where weight is an issue, get a low iron (i.e. Starfire) tank, it has better optical properties than regular glass, but won't scratch like acrylic.

I agree, with this, also acrylic weighs less than glass will, and can support more weight against it than glass. it is more verstile.

For large tanks of over 125 or 150 gallons I would go with acrylic period over glass.

foxesreef
03/07/2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks--

The reason I am asking is that I see them for sale from time to time and I am always looking to upgrade. There is currently a 300 plus gallon (fairly close to me) that is acrylic but I am afraid that is a lot of weight on acrylic.

flyyyguy
03/07/2008, 03:34 PM
like already said...dont worry about strength. If properly made acrylic is nearly bulletproof

be real careful and inspect closely if buying a used acrylic tank....especially of that size...unless you dont value your time and have 15-30 hours of hard elbow grease to burn cleaning scratches up

one slight bonus af acrylic is most scratches CAN be repaired......although many of thsoe scratches would never have happened in the first place with glass

another negative is insulation. they hold heat in too well. that may not be a negative to some....but it is to me

You have no idea how much I wish I could take anice fat razor blade to my tanks weekly to clean coralline off. Instead I have to hit it every cou0ple days or it is really a chore to get off without scratching. if glass I could wait as long as I wanted, bust out the 4" razor and be done with it

MUCHO REEF
03/07/2008, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12035391#post12035391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Acryclic Pros:
Lightweight
Optically superior

Acryclic Cons:

I agree 200 %, if you do decide on the acrylic tank, you will have to baby it so much to prevent scratches. I have seen others with acrylic have a seizure when the caused their first scratch as it is very noticeable.

Viewing clarity is vastly improved over glass unless it is Starphire.

Just my 2 cents.

Mucho

foxesreef
03/07/2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks

I think you all helped me decide that acrylic is not for me. I may be a stay at home mom but that does not mean I have extra time to
'baby' the tank. I have to scrape the coralline algae off a lot of times especially on the sides now and I hope to go back to college this fall.

Dingo Dog
03/07/2008, 03:50 PM
I read a post here where a visiting friend's kid decided to do a favor by cleaning the acrylic tank using a 'mag-float', which we all probably use to clean our tanks. Unfortunately some sand/gravel got caught in between the mag-float and glass. Yep, scratched it pretty good.

Untamed12
03/07/2008, 03:50 PM
I have a 400 gallon - 1" thick acrylic. So far, in one year I have not caused a single scratch.

HOWEVER....what nobody ever told me...and what I'm telling you now...is that it is the fish that are scratching the acrylic. I'm in the process of removing two triggerfish that have caused zillions of fine scratches simply by rubbing on the tank walls with their abrasive skins.

The Tangs have made their share of scratches as well. One swipe with a peduncal spine leaves a good mark.

Yes, they can be polished away...but it is a lot of work and removing really deep scratches will leave an optical distortion.

I would buy acrylic again. At 400 gallons, I really don't think there is any choice. Large starfire glass tanks just don't have the clarity and safety that I like. Just do so with full knowledge of what happens...

Oh....and I think that my tank might actually BE bulletproof. At least a small calibre handgun, anyway.

snorvich
03/07/2008, 04:11 PM
I have two largish acrylic tanks. Some scratching but it polishes out on the inside with sandpaper kits. On the outside, it can be be buffed out rather easily. Cleaning is an issue, but not an insurmountable one.
On LARGE volume tanks, acrylic thickness is an issue; if not thick enough they will bow.