PDA

View Full Version : salt chunks

dalejr31815
03/07/2008, 02:43 PM
i have a little bit of salt on the top of my tank is this normal

Michael
03/07/2008, 02:47 PM
yes its called salt creep, when you put your hands in the tank to clean it or add a animal water may well spill even in small amounts, when it evaporates salt will get left over, best to wipe up any spills even if tiny

papagimp
03/07/2008, 02:54 PM
Coralife makes a saltcreep remover/repellant type stuff. i've been using it for a few weeks now but so far, I'm really not that impressed at all. Sure it cleans it off well, but so does hot water and elbow grease.

Saltcreep is normal. evaporation and misting will cause alot to build up, but evap is good for your tank (provided you are topping it back up). This is a great way to cool off a warm tank, increase evap by adding fans across the surface, which you'll notice alot of saltcreep doing that, but just clean it up as you see it. I try not to dump it back in my tank, unless it's down in the sump and I know it'll have some time to de-chunk and dissolve before getting to my display. you definatly don't want a chunk of saltcreep sitting on top of an expensive coral for too long.

Blown 346
03/07/2008, 03:20 PM
I agree,just dont let it sit there, the longer it sits the harder it is to get off.