PDA

View Full Version : H. Mag set-up.

Quickcord
03/07/2008, 05:34 PM
I would like to set up a species tank with an H. Mag and a pair of true percs. I need some advice/recommendations. I am looking into a cube tank but unsure of the best size to get. I will be using a 400w MH for lighting as thats the optimal set-up from my initial research.

Thanks,
Quickcord

garygb
03/07/2008, 07:03 PM
I would say a 60-gallon cube would be fine for one anemone. My H. magnificas have been under PC, MH and now T-5's over the years. Both the PC and T-5s have been better in my particular case. I've seen and heard of success with 400 watt MH, but I personally wouldn't do it unless the light were quite high. Perculas are a good choice and a natural symbiont for H. magnifica.

elegance coral
03/07/2008, 08:33 PM
There is a member here that has theirs in 2x2x2 cubs. It seems to be working for them. Try to get the H. Mag first, so that it has time to settle in before the clowns are introduced.

Quickcord
03/07/2008, 11:13 PM
Hmm. I was reading that with T-5s they tended to walk around a lot because the light spead was uniform vs. a spot pendant? Maybe not a factor in a cube tank with a center rock pillar?

I was planning to get the anemone first and let it settle in, seems to have worked well with my LTA.

garygb
03/07/2008, 11:38 PM
Mine have been under T-5s for several months now and haven't moved at all. I would suspect flow or problem with substrate if they wandered under T-5's.

Quickcord
03/08/2008, 10:59 AM
Looks like I will go with a 100gal cube or 60 gal cube. Still doing research on the flow/ lighting set up.

Thanks.
Quickcord