PDA

View Full Version : what to use to attach plastic to glass

insanefishguy
03/07/2008, 08:18 PM
ok, so I am currently in the process of setting up a 125. I had the tank drilled, so the holes are on the back pane. In order to maximize my surface skimming without being to obtrusive, I made two "overflows" out of a cutoff section of a black polypropelene catch basin tub from lowes. Being the dipstick that I am sometimes, I figured I could just silicone them in place over the holes. I know that I have read many times that silicone will not hold acrylic to glass, but I just didnt think about it. Can I use an epoxy or superglue to hold them in place? Or mabe gorilla glue? Does anyone know if that is safe?

insanefishguy
03/07/2008, 08:20 PM
right now they are siliconed on the back pane, and I have to say that it seems like they are really stuck fast. If I am not mistaken it is the expanding and/or contracting at different temps that causes the failure between plastics and glass with silicone

YankyTexan
03/07/2008, 08:33 PM
GE makes a product I purchased at Lowes. It is a red 2.8 oz. tube titled:

100% Silicone Sealant for Lexan sheet & other plastics.

I used it in my DIY to adhere acryllic to glass. It forms a very strong bond.

insanefishguy
03/07/2008, 08:36 PM
hmmmm also silicone? I know exactly what you are talking about. I worked in lowes for over a year.

FFrankie
03/07/2008, 10:39 PM
I used CR LAURENCE CRL Clear Aquarium Silicone Sealant with great results when i installed my coast to coast overflow. I clamped the plastic tight in place with a thin bead only on the edge. Then when cured I went back and gave it that factory edge look. Remember that Silicone takes up to two weeks to fully cure.

YankyTexan
03/08/2008, 07:05 AM
Prepping each surface properly as well as allowing optimal time for curing (as FFrankie said) is crucial to the success of the job. I let mine cure 7 days.

jgwhite
03/08/2008, 05:11 PM
I use super glue in my tanks alot. Never any problems.

insanefishguy
03/08/2008, 06:13 PM
thanks guys. I didnt know that silicone took two weeks to fully cure. It has been sitting about a week now, I guess I can wait a little longer.
Any thoughts on running some puper glue along the inside edge just to add some strength? I figure if the silicone is holding the glass properly then maybe the super glue will at least help adhere the plastic and the silicone, but maybe Im being foolish.

ReeferAl
03/10/2008, 08:46 AM
I have previously found that Goop makes a very strong bond between glass and acrylic. As far as gluing polypropylene though, I couldn't say. All plastics are different. Some, such as polyethylene, can't be glued at all.

Allen

ReeferAl
03/10/2008, 08:52 AM
I found some information
here (http://www.stealth316.com/2-dp8005.htm)
on gluing, or rather the inability to glue, polyethylene and polypropylene.

Cyanoacrylate, epoxy, polyurethane, silicone (RTV for example), and most acrylic adhesives do not stick to polypropylene and polyethylene.

That link also shows a new adhesive that supposedly will work, Scotch-weld DP 8005. HTH

Allen

insanefishguy
03/10/2008, 01:31 PM
Interesting, but disappointing. I dont know what I am going to do. SO far, they are still in place. I have really pulled on them and they have not budged. I suppose I should make something better before I move all my stuff into the tank, but I want so badly to just see what happens and be optomistic.

Naptalene
03/10/2008, 03:14 PM
My tanks been running for a while with silicone holding it. LOTS of silicone, it's almost acting as rim for the perspex to push against.

I also fill the overflow first (have a durso) to provide a bit of support against the pressure of the tanks water (minimal help I know but makes me feel better :)

ReeferAl
03/10/2008, 08:52 PM
If it's just holding an internal overflow in place then silicone would probably suffice as it doesn't have to be that strong and a failure would not be catastrophic. OTOH, if you were attaching an external overflow then I would definitely use the "proper" glue.

leebo_28
03/10/2008, 09:33 PM
my 90 overflow is sealed from factory with silicone..i think it more or less wedges it there with enough silicone to seal it too

Ritesh
05/21/2020, 08:34 AM
Guys I'm trying to make a little fish tank by gluing a glass panel to a plastic container. Can I use solid in or superglue . Which one is better.