PDA

View Full Version : Xenia question

jackets22
03/07/2008, 09:41 PM
I bought a xenia frag and it is growing like a weed. With the flow it has latched on a different rock then the frag that the original was attached to.

My question is how do I take the Xenia off the rock it is spliting onto? I dont know that I will want it growing onto that particular rock. Do I just cut it at the base? But even if I do wont the bit that gets left behind still regrow?

fatrip
03/07/2008, 09:55 PM
i would suggest cutting it off and taking the rock out and burning it. pretty much you need to get all of the xenia off the other rock or it will regrow. i would suggest cutting it at the base and useing bone cutter to take a piece of rock off with the base of the xenia that is still attached. unless you can take it out and burn it with a torch i can see that being fun as well... but you probibly dont want to breath in the fumes as the xenia are pretty toxic.

jackets22
03/08/2008, 08:16 AM
ugh that is what I was afraid of. I may be able to do this but how does someone that has rock all tied, together in a large aquarium take care of this. If it is unfeasable to take the rock out? A stiff bristle brush?

fatrip
03/08/2008, 02:47 PM
no take either bone cutters or a pair of dykes (wire cutters) and snip off the piece of the rock that has the xiena on it. the rock is easy to cut in small chunks. this is all done under water, but becarful where the piece falls you will need to get it out because it will grow somewhere else if it floats away. also if you are useing a pair of dykes, which i dont suggest, wash them thuroly because of the oil that is on them. You can get bone cutters at Drs fostersmith.com pretty cheeply. this IMO would be the best way if you cant remove the rock. The probibly of you gettin all of the xiena off the rock by scrubing it is very low, and it will keep growing back. dont use a wire brush either because there are lot of chem and oils that are on them to preserve the metal.

jackets22
03/08/2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will have to cut the rock. I didnt want to do it as it has other corals on it and looks nice the way it is.