PDA

View Full Version : Something is spawning in my tank tonight

whatcaneyedo
03/08/2008, 02:26 AM
I just thought I'd do my best to share this experiance with anyone who might be interested in this sort of thing.

MH off at 10:00pm then actinics off at 11:00pm... between 11:30 and 11:45 something started spawing. The tank is a thick milky white with tiny yellow eggs floating everywhere. Many corals are having a great time gobbling them up and the protien skimmer is going a bit nuts.

Yesterday morning when I got up my water was cloudy like this and my skimmer was full so I believe this is the second night this has taken place.

Earlier today when I did my weekly testing I got these results (problematic salifert test kits):
Temp 78 F
Salinity 1.024
pH 8.1
Alk 9 dkh (test kit gives false readings might be 7 dkh)
Ca 400
Mag 1260
nitrate 5 ppm

However I added some baking soda and turbo calcium to bring my alk, ca and hopefully my pH up a bit since then... so current values are:

pH 7.9 (drops at night)
Ca 440
Alk 12 dkh (might be 10... I need a new test kit)

My tank is a 120 gal mixed reef with 30+ corals including soft, LPS and SPS plus a few clams and a sebae anemone etc. I've been inspecting everything closely and I cant tell what is causing this event.

"Umm, fish?"
03/08/2008, 10:36 AM
Congratulations!

You might want to do a water change, though. :)

Milky white AND eggs? You might want to grab some of those eggs and put them into a small container with new water and see what happens. Probably too much sperm (polyspermy) to get good fertilization, but why pass up the chance?

Good luck!

whatcaneyedo
03/08/2008, 11:40 AM
I'm doing my weekly water change this morning. Its a little late now to separate anything out... guess I'll just have to wait and see if anything new starts to develope. One of my corals (a pink pocilliopora) came from a guy who had it spawn successfully in his tank so if anything my money is on that one.