PDA

View Full Version : Background for 224g

radar99
03/08/2008, 03:20 PM
I am in the beginning stage of a 224g in wall build, and I am stumped on a background material. I need to be able to either see through or remove the background because it is an in wall. I have pluming in the way that doesn't allow me to put a removable backing very easily.
Has anybody used the window covering for vehicles that allows you to see out, but doesn't allow people to see in. It is not tint, however a material that allows you to put your company logo to totally black it out. Does anybody have any experience with this??? Or any other ideas???

Thanks

Ken

FishTruck
03/09/2008, 07:48 AM
An interesting alternative would be to use a webcam in the tank when you need to see what is going on from the back side. I am not sure about one way glass in this situation, most of it reflects so much it would be like a mirror - would think.

mcliffy2
03/09/2008, 12:34 PM
Im trying to understand why you need to be able to see through? You will probably still want front access, why not just build a hatch for access then paint the back as you normally would?

radar99
03/09/2008, 12:52 PM
I'd just rather not have a front access point. I can access everything from the back, but if I want to clean out detritus it would be nice to be able to see where it is. I am going with a BB and am hoping to have enough flow to almost eliminate detritus collection on the bottom, but I will still need to keep the bottom clean until the corraline has a chance to take hold and I have the aquarium full of corals.
There are 2 ways to do this, have a removable background, or a see through background. I am looking for the see through version first.

DARKPHREAK
03/10/2008, 06:12 AM
I used car window tint from Can Tire. Its easy to apply and you can go as dark as you want. Unless the sun is shining in the sump room you cant see the room from the front.

View from the back
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/DARKREEFTANK/tint.jpg

radar99
03/10/2008, 12:21 PM
Good idea, I wasn't sure how easy it was going to be to see through from the back, but that looks pretty good.

Thanks

thor32766
03/10/2008, 02:31 PM
i have heard good things about window tint. give it try. mine is just painted black