PDA

View Full Version : New to non photo and corals alike

Ranzan
03/08/2008, 10:08 PM
well im new to non photo and pretty much all corals but i really like non photos ive been looking at them for a while and was wondering if anyone can give me some reading material on them. Also is it a good idea to go headfirst into non photos when you have little or no experiance with corals and reefs( im more of a fwlr man myself:D)

Stottlemire
03/09/2008, 06:25 AM
Ranzan,

NPSC, is not a coral anyone should consider without being in the hobby for years. These corals are hard on a system, there feeding requirements are hard and very expensive. If I had to put a price on feeding my tank monthly, it would be over 500.00 a month. The amount of food would choke out a newer tank.

Chuck

Ranzan
03/09/2008, 11:35 AM
stottlemire thank you i guess ile start into corals and get more experiance with them before NPSC.

dendro982
03/09/2008, 12:29 PM
What I did, when started - the thorough web search for non-photosynthetic coral care, requirements. A lot more information is shown, if search by name, and add words feeding or skimmer.

My first coral, NPS by coincidence, was bought in a month after starting the saltwater fish tank, 20g. Still alive and relatively well 2 years later. But I'm biologist, research, maybe this helped :)

I just placed my recommendations on the corals of choice in "Which corals would be good for a newbie" thread.

Keeping a very big tank with the fine-mouthed corals, that have to be fed almost constantly - is a big strain, as Stottlemire said. Dendros and scleros.

The big mouthed corals, that require less frequent feeding, are much lesser problem, IMHE. $20 a month cost of food, or less. But skimmer will help with water quality. Tubastrea and large polyped gorgonians, except blueberry.

A lot of people are keeping them - you can read about their experiences on the web.

The next is not addressed to you:
P.S. Fierce attackers of the others' points of view will be added to Ignored list - I reserve right to have own opinion, based on my, not somebody else's experience. And not being harassed. Sorry.