PDA

View Full Version : Seachem de*nitrate

drosen
03/08/2008, 11:46 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Seachem de*nitrate product? I am looking for ways to lower Nitrate levels in my reef system and I have heard some great endorsements about this product from my LFS. Thank you.

Boomer
03/09/2008, 12:15 AM
It is just a porous zeolite media that just ends up acting as live rock

demonsp
03/09/2008, 01:45 AM
If it does help it would only be temporary. You need to find the cause for the cure.
Whats used for water movement ?
Whats the water source?
Water change amount and scedule?
Amount of LR and LS and stock?

Billybeau1
03/09/2008, 02:14 AM
I guess I'll ask again.

What does water movement have to do with elevated nitrates ?

demonsp
03/09/2008, 02:22 AM
First your LR and LS will convert nitrate into harmless nitrogen but not if flow is low then they only collect nitrate. Then in low flow uneatin food , fish waste and other debris tend to collect in ,on , around and under the LR and after time ,months or yrs , will rise to levels that water changes alone cant control. Low flow wont cause nitrate but the effects of low flow will. Also the placement of your flow sources is just as important.
Did this help ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12046683#post12046683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I guess I'll ask again.

What does water movement have to do with elevated nitrates ?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/09/2008, 07:26 AM
If you assume that higher flow causes solid detritus particles to be skimmed out, then I'd agree. That may not be true in all systems. Some will have those solids settle out elsewhere (refugium, sump, etc), some do not skim, some have marginal skimmers, etc. Your proposal is really the mantra of the bare bottom folks, but may not apply to all types of reef tanks.

drosen
03/09/2008, 08:43 AM
Answers below:

Whats used for water movement ?

I have a 180 Gal with 2 return lines split into three outputs.
I have 5 Koralias on wave timers two of which point towards surface

Whats the water source?

I have a 5-stage RO/DI unit using Carbon blocks. TDS reads 1 - 3 after my membrane and 0 after my DI.

Water change amount and scedule?

35 gallons / month.

Amount of LR and LS and stock?

Tank has lots of rock from base to top. There is also LR in my sumps intake section which also has a very turbid flow. I use filter socks of 25 micron which I change every two days. For fish I have the following:

Lyretail anthias - 4
Royal Gramma - 1
Purple Tang - 1
4-Spot Wrasse - 2
Lawnmower Blenny - 1
Scooter Blenny - 1
Green Chromis - 2
Sebae Clown - 1
Longnose Hawk - 1
San sifting Stars - 3
Horseshow crabs - 2
Emerald Crabs - 4
Tiger Snails and other assorted snails - about 10 - 15
feather dusters
few softies

anything else?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/09/2008, 09:16 AM
What is your nitrate level (accepting that nitrate kits are often kit inaccurate), and do you have an algae problem or other reason to feel it needs to be lowered aside from a kit reading?

FWIW, elevated nitrate alone is not a big deal, IMO.

drosen
03/09/2008, 02:04 PM
Nitrate levels are around 20. I have a small alage issue and I want to lower it so that I can start to add corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/09/2008, 02:09 PM
If you are thinking of soft corals, that level is fine, IMO. Even many hard corals may be OK.

demonsp
03/09/2008, 10:27 PM
You more constant water movement by powerheads not hooked on the wave maker. Wave makers are more for show.
Then i would do weekly 20% changes untill you see readings drop then adjust from there.

demonsp
03/09/2008, 10:27 PM
You more constant water movement by powerheads not hooked on the wave maker. Wave makers are more for show.
Then i would do weekly 20% changes untill you see readings drop then adjust from there.