PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom/Coral

More Fish
03/09/2008, 12:03 PM
Ok, posted this on the mushroom forum, but no one wants to respond so I will try here.

I know that mushrooms sting neighboring corals, but are there any kinds of corals that can be next to the mushrooms and be happy neighbors?

More Fish
03/09/2008, 01:51 PM
Anyone?? At least one possible suggestion?

Aquarist007
03/09/2008, 01:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12049252#post12049252 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by More Fish
Anyone?? At least one possible suggestion?

mushrooms are more into chemical war fare if stressed-- the give off a hormone that stops growth of neighbouring corals.
I have mushrooms in with everything else with no problems.

I like the toadstool the best because it grows very tall and provides alot of shade for corals that prefer it--like other mushrooms:lol:

MegsB
03/09/2008, 02:42 PM
i have loads of mushrooms near everything and they are all doing great, zoos, frogs, hammers, torches, brains, duncans etc etc.

Larah
03/09/2008, 03:02 PM
Well good for you Meg! Now stop bragging! :D Joking...
I hate mushrooms now! They suck.. LOL!
Nah...mine just won't co-operate... They open pretty half a$$ed......

lloydkeller
03/09/2008, 10:48 PM
they will be fine they have never caused me any big problems

demonsp
03/09/2008, 10:57 PM
I agree with the stress. If there happy and foods good with good water quality then some touching isnt a problem. But the stronger or faster growing can retard other coral growth or even grow right over them. Learning to frag and isolate your coral is always best.

More Fish
03/10/2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info!!

robojet
03/10/2008, 07:01 PM
I have mushrooms, and they've never caused any harm to neighboring corals (zoos, leathers, etc.) - I have red/blue/red pimpled. ON THE OTHER HAND, I have a green Yuma Ricordea that took out my Nuclear Candy cane the other day! The Yuma stretched out real long and had its tips on the Nuclear Candy, and it looks like the flesh of the Nuclear Candy had "melted" away. It was awful! I had no idea the Yuma could do that kind of harm! So... regular mushrooms... no problem, Ricordea, BEWARE.

Aquarist007
03/11/2008, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12059434#post12059434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by robojet
I have mushrooms, and they've never caused any harm to neighboring corals (zoos, leathers, etc.) - I have red/blue/red pimpled. ON THE OTHER HAND, I have a green Yuma Ricordea that took out my Nuclear Candy cane the other day! The Yuma stretched out real long and had its tips on the Nuclear Candy, and it looks like the flesh of the Nuclear Candy had "melted" away. It was awful! I had no idea the Yuma could do that kind of harm! So... regular mushrooms... no problem, Ricordea, BEWARE.

I agree with you--ricordia is capable of that--I've had to move it a number of times to get it way from other corals--and with its capacity to expand so much that is a challenge sometimes