PDA

View Full Version : What size plumbing for sump return..

loosbrew
03/09/2008, 08:16 PM
Hey everyone,

I am currently in the planning stages of moving my existing 65gal to a 120 gal. I am looking to focus mainly on a small mix of Zoo's, Softies and perhaps one or two Acan's or something similar as well as accomodate my LTA which houses a pair of A. Frenatus. Other fish are a Yellow Tang and a C. Nox. Ideally I'd like to create a back and forth, gentle wave motion perhaps almost lagoonal?

Some specs...

120 RR (4'x2'x2') display with a 40 breeder (36"x18"x16") sump.
Mag 9 or 18 plumbed through an OM Squirt.

I am planning to use the OM Squirt from the sump return with either the Mag 9 or 18. I originally planned on using the Mag 18 as the return, T'ed to a refugium area of the 40 gal sump to act as the bypass. The tank was purchased used and had both overflows removed but are available to be reinstalled. I planned on installing only one overflow so I can maximize the surface area on the other half of the tank, however with the Mag 18 I'm concerned if the single overflow can handle it.

Also, I'd like to plumb the pump externally but am a bit confused on the bulkhead (intake from sump) and PVC sizing. I was thinking 1.5" all around with reducers to accommodate the size of the pump and Squirt and 1" PVC from the Squirt to the tank. Thoughts?

Back to the pump...with the approach above, I am unsure if the 18 will be too much and if I should use the 9 instead. I am trying to not have to use multiple pumps to conserve on energy and complexity. Perhaps a different pump would be more suitable? I didn't include a new pump in the budget but if it just won't work with the Mag's, I will have regroup.

If I were to go ahead with the Mag 9 I thought I could augment the flow with a surge device. I have built them in the past and enjoy the effect they produce but I never had a tank that could handle the amount of flow. The only real downfall of a surge is the noise. If anyone has any thoughts of diminishing the flushing sound every 30 seconds, I'm all ears. :)

Well that's it for now. I'm interested in any input anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Luis

sjm817
03/09/2008, 08:24 PM
The Mag18 is way too big. This is a 4 way Squirt? Where will it go? The plumbing will come over the back? Mags really dont flow well unless you plumb them with large plumbing. 1.5" with the Squirt would be a real PITA to work with. They are not the best choice external either. Do you already have the pump(s)?

loosbrew
03/09/2008, 08:30 PM
Yes, I currently have the pumps. The 9 is running the 65 and the 18 has just been hanging around for a while as a backup.

It's a regular OM Squirt which has four 3/4" outlets. When I purchased it I genuinely thought I had a Mag 12 but I took a closer look today and noticed it was a 18. Stupid me, but anyway... :)

For what I am looking to accomplish, which pump would you recommend for the return going through the Squirt?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Luis

sjm817
03/09/2008, 08:33 PM
The mag9. You dont want a ton of flow going through a 40B. The 18 would be way too much.

loosbrew
03/09/2008, 09:38 PM
Any suggestion on the plumbing size? With a mag 9, I'm still looking at 3/4" ins and outs, would going with 1" pipe in between be enough or should I still plan for a 1.25" or 1.5" bulkhead and pipe?

sjm817
03/09/2008, 09:52 PM
The bigger it is, the more flow you will have. 1.5" is a real pain to work with. 1.25" is a reasonable compromise. Whatever you can work with.

loosbrew
03/09/2008, 10:49 PM
dp

loosbrew
03/10/2008, 09:53 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on the quieting the surge or anything else mentioned? :)

Thanks,

Luis

1628mna
03/10/2008, 12:01 PM
i hate to sound rude but "read the directions for the mag pump". i never knew that for a mag pump outlet pipe has to be doubled for max flow output. i had a mag 7 then i bought a mag 9 for more flow on my 90. yes it was more flow but if i would of read the directions i would not of had to upgrade. i would just of had to made my plumbing bigger. the outlet for a mag 9 is 3/4 inch go with 1 1/2 plumbing and you will be fine. i have a 90 and off of that mag9 i run 2 phosban reactors and the flow thru my fuge mages my softball size cheato tumble very well,all the time. also ive learned using mag pumps if your running them internally put them on a piece of white foam board, you will have to change every month or so though. you can get them at lowes in the insulation isle. you also somewhere in you plumbing upto your tank want to put a piece of flexable hosein there to stop the vibration from pump transfering into your tank. do these things and i will guaratee you can here a mouse fart in your aquarium room, mag pumps aernt loud if you do these things.

loosbrew
03/10/2008, 02:30 PM
It's not rude at all. No worries here. Thanks for the reply.

I guess my plans are now to run the Mag 9 through the OM Squirt 4 way via 1.25" or 1.5" PVC. 1.5" seems a bit bulky to work with so perhaps I can drop down to 1-1.25" on the returns from the Squirt?

I am still contemplating a way to quiet down a surge device in case i need to augment the flow.

Thanks again,
Luis

1628mna
03/11/2008, 08:56 AM
look at it this way what is a 1/4 inch bigger, the price,the room. always always go bigger thats what ball/gate valves are for on your returns. and its always good for future additions. all of us on here know that whithout tinkering with additions onto our system it will never be the same. im glad i went bigger because of going bigger with the plumbing i was able to make the additions i can without really affecting any flow, actually the additions helped me with the overall flow. good luck and i hope i helped out .

1628mna
03/11/2008, 08:59 AM
hey i have a question for you! the family is going to clearwater in june. nice place ? any aquariums nearby? any other info about it. here im sitting here assuming your from florida you live right next to clearwater without even looking on a map lol. i love florida!!!

loosbrew
03/11/2008, 11:55 AM
To be honest, I'm not too familiar with clearwater. It's a bit far from us, at least a 2 hour drive maybe? I know there are a couple of aquariums in the area but I'm really not sure of the quality. I would post in the Orlando or Tampa forums..

http://*******.com/3cbblt
http://*******.com/2p5nwx

They can probably gear you to something fun. I know that Indian Rocks Beach is a bit crowded on the weekends, though I'm sure many of them out that way are crowded. :)

Good luck and have fun!

Luis

FLAZ28
03/11/2008, 04:16 PM
there is one aquarium in clearwater on the beach rt. 60 west......there is one in tampa and a huge tank at the st. pete pier.........