PDA

View Full Version : At last: Reefer's 120g DIY build ~

The Reefer91
03/09/2008, 08:50 PM
hey folks. I'd like to start off by thanking many of you fellow reefers who have answered questions for not just me, but for all the people on this site.

from the beginning: about 3 1/2 years ago, i got interested in freshwater fish, buying a betta, and then having it die because i knew nothing about fish. however, i was intrigued by how the world of our aquatic friends worked. so a little bit later, i setup my first real tank. a 10g freshwater tank with several random fish in it. this fed my addiction. a year later, after the birth of my 30g freshwater tank, i became interested in s/w aquariums. i was instantly in love. a little while after, my dad also became obsessed with s/w fish. so we started a 10g reef. however, right from the start we wanted to go bigger. we eventually laid our hands on a 50g, but we didn't feel that it was enough. so my dad scoured the web, looking for a drilled 120g. and one day, bam!!!:eek: there it was on craigslist. so we went on our way and picked up the tank. a drilled 120g(48x24x24") with two glass overflows in either corner.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures005.jpg

so, at long last, we have started our 120g journey. my dad and I are more than excited to say the least. now, for the battle plan :D

our system is going to involve a lot of DIY projects, because 1; it is fun and kind of heartwarming to see something you've built actually work, and 2; it's much cheaper than buying the equipment as it is :lol: the tank will be placed downstairs in front of a closet, which will essentially become a fish room. this will house most of our stuff. also, our tank will be mostly SPS dominated with a few mixed corals.

so, here is the ideal system i envision:

basics

Tank - 120g(standard)
stand - a taller stand, probably about 40-50" tall. crouching down to see the tank well doesn't seem ideal to me, plus my dad is 6'3" and I'm about 6'2", so height is important. :rollface:
Lighting - 2 250watt 15k metal halides, with 4 39watt actinic T-5 bulbs.

Filtration

Protein skimmer - we will be making a 30" tall DIY recirculating skimmer.
Mechanical filtration: a DIY filter system we built that has a sponge, carbon, and phosphate filters.
Sump - a 20gL or possibly a 30g aquarium. it will house all the different pumps for the different filters and reactors. it will also contain 2 250watt heaters.
Refugium: a 50g drilled aquarium that will sit above the sump. it will probably be lit by a 380 PC fixture we have. it will contain mostly chaeto and a few other algaes, as well as xenia.
DSB bucket - i saw this in a thread, and thought it was an interesting idea.

Extras

Auto top-off - it'll be a standard kit from autotopoff.com
calcium reactor - a DIY cylinder that is 6" wide and about 16" tall

Circulation

ok, my dad and i are still debating this. what i hope is we'll be using a little giant TE-5.5-MDQ-SC(2200gph) with 2 hydor koralia 4's.

so that's about it for now. progress will go on as time and money allow. stayed tuned for more updates.

;)

lloydkeller
03/09/2008, 09:06 PM
nice start i have a 120 love it, just wish i would have went with the taller stand much easyer for equipment i use 2 KORALIA 4s and 2 maxijet 1200S WORK GREAT, it took me awhile to get all my equipment budjets suck, but the good thing was i got alot of reading in so it went pretty easy

The Reefer91
03/10/2008, 05:23 AM
that's good to hear. i do love the size of the 120g :D especially because i'm a tang fanatic! hopefully i'll have some updates by the end of the day.

The Reefer91
03/10/2008, 05:09 PM
ok, so hear are some updates. we've pretty much finished building the stand. it is 37" tall and 57" long. the idea is to be able to fit both the coral and fish QT tanks under there. we have yet to put on doors, but that will come later.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures006.jpg

also, we sprayed the back and left side of the tank black(the best way to go, IMO) with some krylon. we also sprayed the trim of the tank because before it was some dinky wood paint.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures032.jpg

here is the tank on top of the stand :)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures036.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the overall look of the setup. the only thing that is bothering me is how yellow the inside of the stand turned out. but that can be fixed :smokin:

Tajjo
03/10/2008, 05:54 PM
Very nice.... what kind of krylon did you use?? smoothest finish? interior-exterior

The Reefer91
03/10/2008, 06:16 PM
shoot...i think i may have thrown out the cans. but i'm pretty sure it was exterior glossy. the regular kind was too thin and let light shine through, so we did a coat over with glossy.

SteveM10
03/10/2008, 06:29 PM
Looking good. Good choice with the black.

The Reefer91
03/10/2008, 06:33 PM
i like to thin so. we were gonna go with blue, but decided that coraline algae probably looks better on black than a bright blue. :D

The Reefer91
03/10/2008, 07:38 PM
ok, so our pump came in today. it's a TE 5.5 MDQSC(or something like that) little giant pump. it pushes out about 2250gph. pretty powerful. my dad and i tested it out in our 50g soon to be refugium, and we noticed microbubbles coming through the output. now, it was drawing water from over the edge of the tank, but we made sure it was filled with water. we can't figure out why there are air bubbles. my thought was that it was so much pressure in such a small tank through only 2 outlets. if anyone has any answers i'd appreciate it :)

anyways, here's the pump.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures044-1.jpg

Tajjo
03/10/2008, 09:48 PM
Nice man, keep us updated.

dogstar74
03/10/2008, 10:20 PM
Some of those LG pumps are rated for pressure, Your's is I believe. The X series are rated for free flow. If you are getting micro-bubbles, it could be due to cavitation of the impeller because the flow is not restricted by a pressure fitting such as an eductor, or a protein skimmer, etc. You can try and dial back the outflow of the pump with a ball valve, or you can simply put and eductor on the outputs, or you can simply wait and the pump will lose a little efficiency (will happen anyway) and when the impeller and houseing become slimed over with algea etc, it will probably not blow microbubbles. Either way, these pumps need time to break in.

Not the quietest pumps on the market, I hope the pump will be housed in another part of the house or garage or something. Don't forget to connect the pump to the return plumbing with a piece of flexible hosing, this will cut down on vibratory noises. It truely is necessary.

Good luck
Aaron

Rustylugnuts
03/10/2008, 11:44 PM
Great start reefer, keep us updated. I cant wait to see how this turns out. (120 is my favorite tank size. I love the 24" front to back)

The Reefer91
03/11/2008, 06:41 PM
alright, well, I've looked into eductors, and they seem a bit pricey. i was also considering doing a manifold, with about 8 outlets. does anyone think that would cut down the bubbles?

The Reefer91
03/11/2008, 07:28 PM
alright, i've been doing my research on the lighting, and my dad and i both agree that 250watts MH lights is the way to go. we'll be using 14k bulbs(i don't like how yellow the 10k bulbs are). because we're building a canopy, we'll be getting retro fits. here is what i have so far. tell me what you think.

for ballasts and reflectors:
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=170

for bulbs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/250W-250-watt-14000K-Metal-Halide-Aquarium-Bulb-14K_W0QQitemZ260218321740QQihZ016QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

as a side note, we also have 6 39watt(3') T-5 lights with individual parabolic reflectors. we'll probably use four of them and have two different types of actinic, just for the extra pop.

dogstar74
03/11/2008, 10:30 PM
You look like you're pretty good at DIY, why not make a couple of the DIY luminarc reflectors and get a great reflector. Some say making only one you come out even, but if you have two or three to build, it really cuts the costs down.

Just a thought.
Do a search here or other websites, or google for that matter, and you'll come up with something about it.

dogstar74
03/11/2008, 10:31 PM
Also, a manifold will not increase pressure, such as what you pump may need, but it will decrease pressure, and at the same time decrease flow. So what you have instead of one or two powerful return streams from the pump, you'll end up with 3-4 trickle flows.

odyssey1
03/11/2008, 10:35 PM
I made my reflector with aluminum and used a vinyl sticky piece of reflective chrome on the underneith where the bulb is. It produced tremendous reflection just as if there were 3 bulbs instead of 1.

The Reefer91
03/12/2008, 05:32 AM
interesting...i never really thought about making my own reflectors. i'll have to look into this, because i really do like how efficient the lumenarcs are. there you guys go, putting ideas in my head :D

also, in regards to the manifold. dogstar, do you really think that it will decrease the flow that much? i always thought they were best done with pressure rated pumps.

The Reefer91
03/12/2008, 04:55 PM
ok. so i've started cleaning out the soon to be "fish room". it is small, but it'll do. my dad and i are still trying to work out ventilation and lighting for the room, but we've got some good ideas. one of my big questions was whether i should keep MH ballasts in/on the canopy, or in the fish room. i know they become hot, and should be kept away from moisture, so this is somewhat a dilemma.

on a side note, i've been pondering circulation in my tank and i think i've come up with a scheme. it's like this:

- 2250gph little giant pump running with an 6 outlet manifold. 2 outlets in the back, 1 on each side, and 2 in the middle front.
- Mag drive 9 pump as return pump, which will return about 600gph to tank
- 2 hydor Koralia 4's placed on the back wall, pointing outward in opposite directions.

this equals about 5200gph in the tank, which is about a 44x turnover rate. what do you think? :)

The Reefer91
03/12/2008, 06:31 PM
anyone?

Bax
03/12/2008, 08:21 PM
You may want to limit it to four outlets, with the head loss you see you may get too little flow with too many outlets. You can always spot six or even eigt outlets in your manifold and play with it to see how many give you good flow and plug those you don't use. This will give you options to move the outlets if you cange the tank layout or pump later on.

If you're going to keep SPS you'll want more flow down the line.

Good luck!

Bax
03/12/2008, 08:47 PM
RC wont let me poat pics outa my gallery for whatever reason?

Anyway, if you look on page 4 of my gallery , there are some pics of the CL manifold I did on my 75 g. Eight ports, but I don't think I ever used more than 6 and I did move them around over time.

dogstar74
03/12/2008, 10:09 PM
1 output = 2250 gals/ hour less head loss.
2 output = 1125 gals/hour each less the head loss.
4 output = 562 gals/hour each less the head loss, and
6 output = well, you get the idea. It pretty much ends up being less than a maxijet 400 power head.

That is unless you reduce the output nozzle to a pea size, then you could get a small jet of water out. But still not the movement you're looking for.

I don't like the idea of manifolds for the return, but that's just my idea. The AMOUNT of water that is returned will be the same regardless of the number of manifold outputs, but the pressure will drop off quickly. That's why blood pressure at 120 mmHg pressure doesn't pop all your capillaries in your body. It's reduced by so many factors that it's down to a slow trickle at that final level.

Oh and the best material to use for the DIY luminarcs is the extension tube material for solarlights that you can find at Home depot or Lowes. It'll run you about 40 bucks, but it's nearly the perfect size to get a single light out of.

L8R
Aaron

Bax
03/13/2008, 05:22 AM
dogstar is right on with the guestimates on flow, and they may even be a little generous. I used my manifold on a CL (closed loop). As for return you can use a much smaller pump, 1,000 gph or even a little less as 3 to 5 x turn over thru your sump is sufficient and will actually help control micro bubbles. The LG pump can do an over the top siphon to feed a CL you do not have to drill.

The Reefer91
03/13/2008, 05:56 PM
ok, that's good that i don't have to drill. i guess i didn't realize how much flow is cut off with a manifold. would it be better to have about four outlets that aren't part of a manifold? i'm curious.

dogstar74
03/13/2008, 10:13 PM
What ever shape you make it, with four outlets, it's still a manifold. Sorry it will still decrease your flow. Just try to find another solution for high flow, such as hydor korallias, MJ mods, Tunzes, Seios, Vortex, etc. Or you can reduce the outflow by using threaded Pipe to Hose connector fittings. 3/4 down to 1/2 inch hose etc.
Or you could use a more powerful pump.

Whatever your decision, good luck with it, I'm watching your thread!

Aaron

Bax
03/14/2008, 06:02 AM
There used to be a great sticky in the Anthony Calfo thread that is no longer running, maybe someone knows how to access it?

Any way it had some great info on the basic principles of setting up a manifold. If I remember correctly, and that may be a big assumption, using 1/2"-3/4" outlets, you need to look at head loss and think along the lines of 350-750 gph per outlet in order for you to get reasonable flow from your manifold. Using the 1/2" outlets allows you to push the lower limit a bit (I ran mine at below the 350 mark and it seemed to be OK, but I had other supplemental flow). You can use the head loss calculator form the home page. Use the largest pipe you can for the feed and manifold then reduce to your outlets.

I am able to post gallery pics again, so here is my old manifold from the front...
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/4777075_Gallon_Construction_CL_manifod.jpg

And the side, there are 8 1/2" outlets, I ended up using only four at a time
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/4777075_Gallon_Construction_CL_manifold_end.jpg

The left fitting feeds the manifold, the center one was the over the top siphon to feed that pump, the right one fed a second CL . You fill the CL through the cap on top and after bleeding out the air, as long as ALL outlets are below the low water line, you'll never break siphon.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/4777075_Gallon_Construction_CL_Ts.jpg

Here are the CL pumps
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/4777075_Gallon_CL_pumps_in_pan_007.jpg

These manifolds are generally used for CLs. Let's assume you get 2,000 gph out of you pump after head loss, that's a lot of water to push through your sump as return flow IMO.

HTH

The Reefer91
03/14/2008, 05:30 PM
hmmmmmm...i think i may go for 4 outlets with 1" pipe, then reduce to 1/2" outlets(loc-line) that might help with the flow.

so for supplementation, would it be better to go with 2 koralia 4's, or 3 koralia 4's? or should i go with 3's? i definitely will be using the pump i already have.

Bax
03/14/2008, 06:45 PM
Never too much flow ... go with 3 x K4s

The Reefer91
03/14/2008, 07:56 PM
ok, i'll go with 3 of them. now, as for sand, i was planning on using oolitic sand, so i'm wondering if this much flow would blow away the sand.

Bax
03/14/2008, 08:48 PM
Keep your first post in mind, you said this would be an SPS dominated tank. If that's true, you will redo this flow set up quite a bit, in time. IME.

But that is a huge part of the fun of reef keeping ... the learning curve ;)

dogstar74
03/14/2008, 09:40 PM
Blowing sand may indeed be a problem, but eventually, it will find it's way. The first little while, while the tank is getting the sand all covered with bacteria and such, just put on the closed loop and when the water is clear, then put on the first korallia, then the 2nd and so forth. That way, you'll have smaller sand storms, and you'll find the hot spots and the cool spots for sand to land. That may help you determine coral placement.

Aaron

The Reefer91
03/15/2008, 05:19 AM
good idea dogstar, thanks :)

Bax, you're right, i think my main priority is SPS coral, and if that means coarser sand to no sand at all, so be it. i'd still like to test the oolite sand and see if it works.

Bax
03/18/2008, 09:36 PM
IMO the sand is worth the effort. Show mea BB ocean and I'll try a BB tank :)

BTW your pump is on the head loss calculator on the home page. Play with that it is a great tool, I have used it with every build, except my first one, and I changed a lot as a result on that tank.

The Reefer91
03/26/2008, 08:07 PM
Goodness gracious, i get lazy and suddenly my thread drops :D i really should get on top of things! ok, so first off, Happy Easter everyone. i hope everyone enjoyed themselves :)

now, things have actually happened since i last posted. my dad and i ordered and received our base rock. we had some liverock, but everything was electrocuted when our GFCI failed and an extension cord fell in the tub. :mad2: so, now i have 75lbs of baserock :(

now, i also have found a way to work out flow. i did some research on pendcutors(eductors?) and managed a DIY penductor. i used a threaded reducer and inverted it. i drilled 8 holes in the back so the siphon effect would be created. here are some pictures.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures056.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures055.jpg
i'm using 4 of these on my closed loop manifold. these double, if not triple the flow. so for now, the flow from the CL is solved. i'm still planning on using to K4's as well as an additional Mag 7 for my SCWD. plus i have the mag 9.5 as my return pump. so flow is under control for the rime being. :cool:

The Reefer91
03/26/2008, 09:17 PM
oh, and here is a picture of the baserock. 53lbs of it are from Marco rocks. i've got to say, i've heard bad things about it, but the rock has really nice shapes and sizes, and the shipping was quick.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures062.jpg

Bax
03/27/2008, 04:05 PM
That pseudo-penductor trick is cool.

50 pounds of Marco rock is like 100-125 of any LR you can buy volume wise. I bought some last OCtober , it's just been in a box, and I just started soaking it in RO. MAN DOES IT STINK! So, rinse it well and I think it may cycle harder than you think for dry rock. The last dry base rock I used was Hirocks (no longer around). It was not nearly as nice as this Marco rock, but even with a good long soak I got lots of HA from it. This time the Marco rock will soak for at least two months, maybe more.

The short of all that is do lots of water changes while this dry rock is breaking in, it will help to soften the HA from the cycle.

The Reefer91
03/27/2008, 04:21 PM
good idea. I've definitely been scrubbing and rinsing them, making sure they are clean. I'm looking forward to when the rock is a little more mature. as for volume, i don't mind, because i don't want alot of rock in the tank. i'm going for a more open look, with the rock centered in the tank.

oh, and in better news, the ups man left a cool little delivery on the door step......Metal Halide lighting!!!! :celeb1:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures061.jpg
these are the bulbs, 15,000k. i don't know if they're any good. i'll probably just replace them with 10k reeflux bulbs.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures057.jpg

The Reefer91
03/28/2008, 09:03 AM
ok, equipment update. my dad and i were originally going to build a skimmer, because we really like DIY stuff. however, when my dad was picking up some sand from the LFS, he found they were selling this for 70$
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures064.jpg
the dimensions are 24" tall and the reaction chamber is 8.5" wide. i don't know what model it is for sure, but it's pretty big compared to our current skimmer. here it is in comparison to a bucket of reef crystals.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures066.jpg

he called me and asked if it was a deal :D i firmly replied yes! emphasis on the "it was a steal" :) but anyways....

in other news, we picked up our sand, and we now have 240lbs of sand. it'll be used for the tank, the 50g refugium, and the remote DSB.

more to come later ;)

The Reefer91
03/28/2008, 09:29 AM
so, i was cleaning the tank upstairs(20g Long) and i saw this strange snail on top of an old snail shell. if anyone knows what it is, i'd appreciate help
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures070.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/Guppy916/Reefcentralthreadpipctures071.jpg

Bax
03/28/2008, 10:57 AM
Hard to tell but it looks like a welk. If it is, probably not good.

That a nice looking EuroReef skimmer there, which Sedra pump is that? You could probably run a 5000 on that body with a gate valve and a mesh wheel mod it would be sweet!

The Reefer91
03/28/2008, 12:10 PM
yeah! I'm still not sure as to the model of the skimmer, but i think the pump is a Euro-reef gen-x mod or something of the like. i'm not sure, i'll have to do some digging. but it is a pretty sweet skimmer :D