PDA

View Full Version : How high do you hang your Lumenarcs

ksed
03/09/2008, 09:17 PM
Just getting opinions on how high Lumenarc users are hanging there lights over the aquarium. Please specify SE or DE, Wattage and aquarium size.
Thanks for your help
Kevin

ksed
03/10/2008, 06:43 AM
nobody with lumenarc out there!

Charlie's Angel
03/10/2008, 11:35 AM
I was wondering the same thing as I just purchased some.

DarG
03/10/2008, 11:47 AM
Kinda depends on the size of the tank because the higher up the wider the spread. Par of bulb and how much par you need in the tank comes into play some as well. My Lumenmax 3's (DE pendant very smiliar to Lumenarc mini) are about 12" up. Thats where I start and lower over time as bulb ages. Tank is a 90 so only 18" wide and some light is thrown over the front and back but the tank is an inwall so you dont see it. 12" up would probably cover 2 foot width easily. Again, the small Lumenarcs and Lumenmax 3 are very similiar.

ksed
03/10/2008, 03:09 PM
DarG I actually have LumanMax 2 SE bulbs HQI PFO ballasts 400watt on a 48x24x24 aquarium. I was told to hang them at about 7-8" fromthe water. I currently have them at 8.5 from water to bottom of the reflector or 10 from water to bulb. I thought that 12 might give you to much spread.

JerseyReef
03/10/2008, 03:39 PM
This is how I hang mine. 2x4 lapped together and a rabbit grove to accept the reflector. I used cheap black plastic "chain" to hang it from the ceiling joists.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/580/1363DSCN0163__Small_.JPG

DarG
03/10/2008, 03:42 PM
12" might throw light beyond a 24" wide tank. It definitely is thrown beyond my 18" wide 90. I just said that 12" up would definitely cover 24" wide. My tanks only 18" wide so I dont have 24" width to experiment with. But my tank is an in wall so it doesnt matter how much light I throw out the tank, I cant see it in the living areas of home. As long as I get enough par at 12" high, Im golden and I also help transfer less heat to the tank from the lighting. I can fully adjust my lighting from 2" to 2 1/2 feet. If 8" is giving you all the spread you need to cover the tank and youre not throwing light outside the tank then that would be a good height. Like I stated, its a combo of spread and par.

jschottenfeld
03/10/2008, 05:28 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/149928_MG_3064-med.jpg

Mine are screwed through the top into my canopy and are about 9" above the water line.

ksed
03/10/2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys for your opinions!
Kevin!

exoticaquatix
03/10/2008, 09:37 PM
awesome canopy jschottenfeld, did you build that yourself?
have any plans for it if you did?

im getting a 120 and will be ordering my Lumenarcs in the next week or so, i just like the look of them better than Lumenbrights and since at this time they will be hung as pendants that matters more than performance. :D in the future i would like to build a canopy but it would need to match my stand im building. the max i can hang them in the proposed spot for the tank would be about 20" above the water. im glad to see im well within the recommended height.

From the looks of yours, Jersey, they do not have any hanging mounts. is that a full size or a Mini? did you have an option t hang it without the rack?

im trying to decide on blowing the extra $50 plus shipping on the "Stealth" covers for them. if I have to bulid a light rack ill prob use L shaped aluminum rails, anyone try that with a pair suspended over the tank?

ok, enough questions i guess, back to homework.

thanks guys.
-nick

jschottenfeld
03/10/2008, 10:13 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/149928_MG_3094-med.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/149928_MG_3054-med.JPG

A friend of mine built it for me. No I don't have plans for it. The front doors on the canopy and stand open for easier access. All filtration is down in my basement.

The whole setup is about 3 months old and so far...so good.

johnwin84
03/10/2008, 11:28 PM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o109/johnwin84/IMG_5593.jpg

exoticaquatix
03/12/2008, 12:26 AM
man, those are both amazing....how much to build me one and send it to Baltimore? haha

Do you know what materials he used? that wood looks nicer than the plywood i have seen at lowes and home depot but I guess stain can work wonders. I am leaning twords ash trim/mouldings if i can find ones i like and oak plywood. ill be painting or staining it black or close to it either way so i guess its not too important.

anyway, keep posting those canopys and stand pics. i love the inspiration.

-nick

jschottenfeld
03/12/2008, 07:35 AM
For my stand and canopy Sapele was used. It is an exotic hardwood similar to Mahhogny. Definitely not an off the rack plywood at Lowes or HD.

DarG
03/12/2008, 08:06 AM
You can always use a nice veneer and trim accents made out of a nice, real hardwood over regular ply if you cant or dont want to splurge for an expensive wood for the entire stand and canopy.

exoticaquatix
03/18/2008, 01:01 PM
yeah, im def in the oak veneer income bracket! LOL
not trying to blow the whole wad on wood! im in this hobby for corals and fish! :D

I decided on a nice flat black for the paint. going to spray it on with an air gun and sand between coats. my buddy who paints cars recommended that for a nice smooth finish. it should work with just about any other furniture i might buy when i can afford it.

im going to hang my lights for now, i got some door handles that will match the "stealth bomber" look of the lumenarcs. should look pretty sweet when im done. Ill post some pics for sure.

thanks guys.

-nick

ksed
03/18/2008, 07:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12057755#post12057755 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarG
12" might throw light beyond a 24" wide tank. It definitely is thrown beyond my 18" wide 90. I just said that 12" up would definitely cover 24" wide. My tanks only 18" wide so I dont have 24" width to experiment with. But my tank is an in wall so it doesnt matter how much light I throw out the tank, I cant see it in the living areas of home. As long as I get enough par at 12" high, Im golden and I also help transfer less heat to the tank from the lighting. I can fully adjust my lighting from 2" to 2 1/2 feet. If 8" is giving you all the spread you need to cover the tank and youre not throwing light outside the tank then that would be a good height. Like I stated, its a combo of spread and par.
I had my lights at about 10" water to bulb and found I was bleaching some corals so I went to 12. Seems to do better.