PDA

View Full Version : bare bottom/starboard/epoxy & sand

suthrnmn
03/10/2008, 07:47 AM
I was thinking about a bb tank with starboard....here's the idea.
One of the main "cons" on a bb tank is the look. What if you were to take starboard and spread a thin layer of epoxy, say 6 inches wide and then coated it with sand. It would give you the appearance of a sand bottom without the sand. Any thoughts.

mofrags
03/10/2008, 07:50 AM
a while back I saw a new product in germany that was like a castable sand/agrocrete for doing what your talking about just a little different. forgot the name though

spleify
03/10/2008, 07:52 AM
I have ZERO experience with this, but was thinking of doing the same thing.

Sorry I wasn't any help.
Consequently I decided to go with a sand substrate, So I really am NO help here.

Spleify

greenmonkey51
03/10/2008, 07:59 AM
Actually zoo med makes the perfect product for bare bottoms, but the sand is orangish. Its a sand that turns to a soft concrete when water is added.

jakaufman
03/10/2008, 08:46 AM
i think bare bottom looks great.. once coralline takes it over :P

gonna tag along and see if theres a good solution out there

Joe
03/10/2008, 04:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12054234#post12054234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by suthrnmn
I was thinking about a bb tank with starboard....here's the idea.
One of the main "cons" on a bb tank is the look. What if you were to take starboard and spread a thin layer of epoxy, say 6 inches wide and then coated it with sand. It would give you the appearance of a sand bottom without the sand. Any thoughts.

King Kong already tried this, and he went back to just starboard.
Here is a link to "Kong's Restored Bare Bottom" post. The first post has a link to a pic with his filthy faux-sand starboard........

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1155619&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Joe:cool: