PDA

View Full Version : alk dropping so fast!

rbrusletto
03/10/2008, 07:56 AM
I've tested my pH, 8.2
I've tested my calc, 420, down 10 from 430 when teste last week, same time as alk.
My alk, has gone from 4 meq/l a week ago, back down to 2 meq/l checked last night, before 20% wc. The previous week, I had dosed baking soda to get it up to 4meq/l.

It appears to me I have a serious demand for alk and that it's getting depleted quite rapidly. My question is, is this the only explanation? Everything has awesome growth lately, and looks great.

DrBDC
03/10/2008, 08:08 AM
It very well could be using that much. I lose about 1 meg/l per day. I currently replace all my ca/alk w/limewater and an occational 2 part. Here is a great article on choosing a suplement:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/10/2008, 09:56 AM
I'd look to dose both calcium and alkalinity as part of a balanced addition system. Alkalinity always looks to be dropping faster, but the ratio of them dropping (18-20 ppm calcium for each 1 meq/L of alkalinity) is fairly well fixed, at least int he short run. You just do not notice the effect on calcium as rapidly with the kits we have and the fact that there is so much more calcium in seawater to begin with. :)

In addition the the article linked above on selecting a method, these have more info:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm

rbrusletto
03/10/2008, 10:38 AM
as usual, awesome posts from both. I guess it sort of caught me by suprise last night when I found these results, that I was loosing alk at such an astonishing rate...

My understanding is that kalk(limewater) takes a little while to settle, and then has to be dripped in to the sump. Would this be done on a daily basis? I top off about a gallon per day.
I'll be reading those articles here shortly, and thanks to both of you :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/10/2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks. ;)

I use it for auto top off, and yes, it is usually added every day. Mine is 24/7 based on a float switch controlling a dosing pump.

rbrusletto
03/10/2008, 10:50 AM
would say a float switch w/ mj400 be too much addition at once?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/10/2008, 10:58 AM
Possibly, yes. If you add 1% of the tank or sump volume in one addition, the pH will jump there by 0.6 ph units, which will be too much.

ludiNano
03/10/2008, 12:03 PM
I have a 10g. and only top off about 1 gallon a week.
I dose it by pouring a little bit in HOB every day at 1.025-1.206

Can i just add kalk in that jug for the week?

And if so how say Ms. wages should i add to 1g.?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/10/2008, 04:31 PM
No, you cannot add limewater once a day and get much out of it. To avoid a ph spike, you'd need it to be quite dilute. If you want to do what you suggest, I'd use a two part system instead. The pH spike is much less for the same alkalinity and calcium addition.

rbrusletto
03/10/2008, 09:55 PM
Thx again Randy for your help :)

I picked up Kent TechB Part B today, unfortunately they were out of part A. At least until I can find a viable solution(kalkwasser dosing, or two part) two part will work. For what it's worth, I pulled out two chunks(about 75% of each) of the frogspawn(total 15 heads, down to 4), and Neon Green Candy Canes(total 30, down to 8). This brings up a question.

I do have a little Kent Liquid calcium left, which I could dose, would this be ok in the meantime w/ the Part B?

ludiNano
03/11/2008, 10:06 AM
thankyou, i had used kent nano A+B in the past and then switched to baking soda which im going to stop useing.

And when i did use it i supplemeted the A w/ Regular Lq calcium for a while.

Randy there's this calculator out there that tell you how much supplement to add, judging on what your cal, alk, mag levels?

But from what i remember it didn't have the new Kent nano A+B to compare.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/11/2008, 12:26 PM
I do have a little Kent Liquid calcium left, which I could dose, would this be ok in the meantime w/ the Part B?

Yes, it is not ideal but will suffice. :)

Randy there's this calculator out there that tell you how much supplement to add, judging on what your cal, alk, mag levels?

But from what i remember it didn't have the new Kent nano A+B to compare.

Check the bottle concentration. I do not know how it compares to the ordinary Kent system. If you know it, you can adjust based on the calcium concentration. The normal Kent two part says "over" 50 ,000 ppm, so just figure it is 50,000. Kent doesn't list the nano on the web site, at least that I could find.