PDA

View Full Version : copper/live rock question

HODGESDNE
03/10/2008, 12:29 PM
I have a damsell that is in a quarantine tank still and I am treating him with copper because he seemed to have some white spots when I brought him home.

My question is, I have some uncured rock that I would like to add to the quarantine tank. Will the copper hurt the rock as far as adding it to my main tank once cured ? I do plan to have corals and inverts.

jackets22
03/10/2008, 01:09 PM
From my understanding yes. It will leach copper. But I am not a expert but I would wait before adding to your tanks until you get a definative answer.

Aquarist007
03/10/2008, 01:14 PM
the live rock is toast if used with a copper medication--don't use it in the main tank.

kevin2000
03/10/2008, 01:29 PM
My 02

Don't use copper with live rock ... will kill any of the inverts on the live rock and the copper may also adhere to the live rock and later leach out into your show tank.

Don't ever use "uncured" live rock in a QT with fish (whether your using copper or not) .. uncured live rock will generate significant ammonia which will kill the fish.

Be prepared to do water changes in your QT to maintain zero ammonia.

If you ich infested fish was placed into your show tank .. that tanks now infected and you should consider leaving it without fish for about 5 weeks to kill of the ich in the show tank (ich need a fish to perpetuate life cycle)

Good luck.

Aquarist007
03/10/2008, 01:33 PM
agree with kevin

hyposalinity works the best for ich . Here is an article on that method.
You can leave live rock in you hyposalinate. the bacteria will die off somewhat but will recyle--you just have to allow more time for them to do that before increasing the bioload in your main tank

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

jayiiiptk
03/10/2008, 02:26 PM
Once you use copper in an aquarium, you should dedicate that aquarium for hospital use only. The silicone sealant will absorb copper, and can release (small) amounts over time. To be safe, don't put live rock or inverts in that tank, (just to be safe).

gulfstream
03/10/2008, 02:58 PM
From personal experience, If you're going to use copper for curing
and want to add live rock to the curing tank DO NOT place it back in another system.....
I made the costly mistake of buying rock which had been dosed with copper before...(being a nebbie):( I did not know.....
I finally found out 3 months later when introducing corals to the system that the rock had large quatities of Copper buildup...
corals keep dying and fishies were swimming sideways....
cheers.

Aquarist007
03/10/2008, 06:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12057066#post12057066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jayiiiptk
Once you use copper in an aquarium, you should dedicate that aquarium for hospital use only. The silicone sealant will absorb copper, and can release (small) amounts over time. To be safe, don't put live rock or inverts in that tank, (just to be safe).

that's an interesting tidbit--thanks jayiiiptk and
[welcome]

serpentman
03/10/2008, 07:08 PM
Another note, instead of live rock, place a sponge in your sump if you have one. When you set up a QT tank, move the sponge over to it. Basically, you are moving a bacterial colony. When done, toss the sponge.

wiscsaltwater
03/10/2008, 07:19 PM
not to hijack but you said that ich needs a fish to maintain itself, what about inverts/snails/anything else live hosting the ich bacteria? or will only fish host it?

HODGESDNE
03/11/2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks for all the info !!
I also was advised of a sponge filter to put into you w/d that will remove the copper. Not sure if it works but I was told so.

Aquarist007
03/11/2008, 08:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12059608#post12059608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wiscsaltwater
not to hijack but you said that ich needs a fish to maintain itself, what about inverts/snails/anything else live hosting the ich bacteria? or will only fish host it?

only the fish can host it but in the second stage of it's life cycle the ich leaves the fish and can be carried into a tank by corals and inverts without you knowing.
In the third stage it must find a fish host again or it dies.

here is a good article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

Aquarist007
03/11/2008, 08:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12061769#post12061769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HODGESDNE
Thanks for all the info !!
I also was advised of a sponge filter to put into you w/d that will remove the copper. Not sure if it works but I was told so.

its actually a little more effecient and less messier to start up a hob filter with the sponge on it, in the main tank, three days prior to setting up the qt and then transfer the entire hob filter to the qt