PDA

View Full Version : What can I put in?

Reef Ruler
03/10/2008, 04:09 PM
Hey

Okay, well this probably could have gone in the Beginner section, but there is just so much traffic over there :)

Ok, well I just set up my first saltwater (yay!) and Its been up and running since Friday evening. I know that I cant put any fish untill its completley cycled, but what about crabs/snails? Would it be OK to throw a blue leg hermit in there, for example? What about a couple assaurius (sp?) snails, or turbos? Or even a skunk cleaner shrimp, or blood shrimp? There is no algae so to speak as of yet, so i wouldnt want to buy anything only to have it starve. On the other hand, I do want something that will help the cycle go along faster, and also survive the spikes. Right now my Ammolnia is inbetween 0 and .25 ppm, ph between 7.5-85, and I forget nitrate/nitrite.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks
Brian

kar93
03/10/2008, 04:17 PM
I wait till its cycled to add ANYTHING.

Reef Ruler
03/10/2008, 04:30 PM
But even with these levels, what can I do to get things rolling?

BreefMe
03/10/2008, 04:56 PM
One of the hardest things to overcome in reefing is to keep a patience study.

The best suggestion is to do nothing until Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, and Nitrite is 0.

As far as adding snails - once you are on the tail end of the NITRATE spike, you are probably OK.

As far as adding other live stock after cycling; it largely depends on the size of the tank and if it is set up as a true reef or just a rock only or fish only tank. Specifically, adding coral is highly rewarding and fun, but it immediately sets limitations on what you can put in as far as fish. However, there are some great reef safe fish and if you wish to explore coral than I would not let livestock limitations stop me.

I have a 180 gal reef tank and I am very happy with both the livestock and the corals.

Reef Ruler
03/10/2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah I definetly want Corals...and its only a 14g so i cant exactly keep anything in there that really chows down on corals. Sll i was planning on keeping was a pair of occellaris clowns and a firefish or something of the sort.

Reef Ruler
03/10/2008, 05:00 PM
Catalina goby in place of the firefish maybe...but I think that takes away from each fish...so much orange.

Reef Ruler
03/10/2008, 05:01 PM
Catalina goby in place of the firefish maybe...but I think that takes away from each fish...so much orange. Maybe High fin red banded goby...

Moonstream
03/10/2008, 05:21 PM
catalina gobies will need a chiller and a cool water tank.

firefish will be a much better choice. what size is the tank? what is the setup?

BreefMe
03/10/2008, 05:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12058360#post12058360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Ruler
Yeah I definetly want Corals...and its only a 14g so i cant exactly keep anything in there that really chows down on corals. Sll i was planning on keeping was a pair of occellaris clowns and a firefish or something of the sort.

At 14g, you can only top out at around 3 total inches of fish.

I am not a nano tank expert. I would rely on others who have nano tanks for livestock suggestions - a couple of very small percula would be OK as long as they were no bigger than 1 inch. I also would wait until the tank was completely stabilized before adding any fish. Get all of the necessary live rock in there. etc.

Make sure you have a protein skimmer even for a small tank and many on this board would highly recommend a sump, even for a 14g tank.

Moonstream
03/10/2008, 05:23 PM
just saw it was a 14g. I would wait until cycle is complete and nitrate is under 10. then adding in the clean up crew would be fine.

Moonstream
03/10/2008, 05:26 PM
14g would be fine for a pair of ocellaris or percula clowns and a firefish. get maybe 3 cerith snails and 5 hermits. I have a serpent star who I LOVE, tho they get pretty big so be careful.

be careful when adding fish, add in the firefish first, after everything looks good (I would wait about a month) then add in the clowns.

Reef Ruler
03/10/2008, 05:59 PM
Forgot to mention. I have about 24/25 lbs of LR in the display and will be doing a 10-20% water change every week to maintain optimal water parameters...

Are you sure about adding the Firefish first? I thought I read to add them last since they were the most delicate. Although, I guess that would make the most sense because they might want to establish their territory...

So would the firefish be OK with me adding corals or an anenome while its still acclimating?

Thanks
Brian

BreefMe
03/10/2008, 06:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12058882#post12058882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Ruler
Forgot to mention. I have about 24/25 lbs of LR in the display and will be doing a 10-20% water change every week to maintain optimal water parameters...

Are you sure about adding the Firefish first? I thought I read to add them last since they were the most delicate. Although, I guess that would make the most sense because they might want to establish their territory...

So would the firefish be OK with me adding corals or an anenome while its still acclimating?

Thanks
Brian

Corals should be added sparingly at first. A small frag of zoanthids or a palythoa would be a good start. Then you might go to a xenia.

I believe anemones need optimal water conditions at all times; I would wait until your tank is fully established before adding one.

DragonRage
03/10/2008, 06:31 PM
I had all the blue hermits survive my tank when it accidently was at 1.040 salinity... and they are all still alive hehe. Shrimp are acctually pretty fragile though so I would wait on that same with anemones.

DragonRage
oops triple post

DragonRage
oops triple post

Reef Ruler
03/10/2008, 06:53 PM
thanks guys....

The only thing I would be worried about would be placing the corals only to have the anenome decide to move and sting the corals :( I guess I'll have to move the corals as the anenome moves...As for the corals, I'll do what you suggested and start with one or two frags untill I get the hang of it.

One more question...If i got the blue leg hermit, or any hermit for that matter, what would they eat if they ran out of algae?

Thanks
Brian

DragonRage
03/10/2008, 07:06 PM
They will generally eat anything your fish don't. Just save a good spot for an anemone, high up with flow. If it finds a good spot that it likes it will stay there.

lakwriter
03/10/2008, 07:18 PM
You need very intense lighting to maintain an anemone. They are very delicate too. Hold off on getting one until you know you have optimal conditions and lighting.

Reef Ruler
03/10/2008, 07:37 PM
Allright..I'll hold off on the anenome, I guess I just really wanted one for the Clowns. I'll just wait untill I upgrade the pump (BC14 Oceanic Stock pump) and maybe the ballast and lights.

I guess If i get the crabs before the fish I could just feed some flakes or some chopped up shrimp (really small bits)?

lakwriter
03/10/2008, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12059741#post12059741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Ruler
Allright..I'll hold off on the anenome, I guess I just really wanted one for the Clowns. I'll just wait untill I upgrade the pump (BC14 Oceanic Stock pump) and maybe the ballast and lights.

The clowns will do fine w/out the anemone. If you end up incorporating corals, there are some that the clowns will host in just like they host an anem. I have a pair of clowns and no anem. or coral. They host my powerhead :lol:

You don't need to start feeding yet. If you add a hermit or 2, they will feed on the decaying matter on your rocks.

I know its easier said than done, but you really do need to be patient to prevent unnecessary livestock loss and future problems. You should wait several weeks before you add any animals.

If you have lights, water movement, rocks, and a heater, you're well on your way to a completed cycle.

vanmo92
03/10/2008, 09:19 PM
Just wait for it to cycle to add anything.

BigH55
03/10/2008, 09:47 PM
I used water from my 75 when starting my 14 and everything went fine added a fish (clown) after 2 days and he is still kickin. They make a baterial additive to get the tank ready and it works. But if you cant do itm wait it out. All the money you save will be worth it and then you can buy that piece of coral you reaaly want.

Reef Ruler
03/11/2008, 01:22 PM
I have all of that and sand :) So they hosted your powerhead, huh? I'd like to see how that one worked :lol:

Now that I think about it, i dont think I'll get in anenome for this tank and wait untill I get a larger one. I'll get a frogspawn maybe for this tank, since they resemble nems anyway.

Thanks
Brian

DragonRage
03/11/2008, 01:34 PM
My clowns won't touch my Torch Coral even though it looks just like an anemone, maybe it's too small for them though. When the light go out and it's time to sleep they both go to the very top of the tank and sit there all night.

BigH55
03/11/2008, 08:03 PM
Mine does the same thing, but when I had a carpet anem he stayed in it all the time.