PDA

View Full Version : This Totally SUCKS!

suzimcmullen
03/10/2008, 06:13 PM
Ok, my 14 gallon bio-cube has been making some aweful noise with the fan. For some reason it sounds like the fan but it has something to do with the switch. I can turn it on and off 20-30 times and at some point it will stay quiet. All I wanted was a new lid. But they say they want the entire tank switched! UGH! So they are sending a new tank. I just got this thing cycled! I have corals and CUC.

I know, this gives me the chance to make the sand bed deeper and I can re-aquascape. I have about 25 pounds of mature rock in here. But is there anything I can do to avoid making it cycle and hurt my corals?

He said it will be about a week before it gets here. I leave town 3 weeks after that and won't be here for 4 days to do any big water changes. I need to make this as simple for my mom as possible.

Do any of those live bacteria products work to help quicken things?

Suzi

jackets22
03/10/2008, 06:17 PM
If they are sending the whole tank just swap lids... Whats the problem?

bertoni
03/10/2008, 06:27 PM
That's what I would do.

I don't think the live bacteria cultures will help much, personally.

suzimcmullen
03/10/2008, 06:33 PM
The problem is that these tanks now have serial numbers on them. If I swap lids they will know. I can call them and try and get them to approve. But I don't want to do anything that could cause me to be charged for a 2nd tank. Also, I bought it off of Ebay. So the person on Ebay set this up for me. I don't have the # for the company that makes this. I guess I could look that up and call them myself.

Suzi

bertoni
03/10/2008, 06:39 PM
I would ask them. This type of service is very poor, in my opinion.

otrlynn
03/10/2008, 07:04 PM
A question for those who know more than I do...if Suzi were to swap the total contents of her old Nano (water, sand, live rock, CUC) into the new one without adding anything new would there really be much of a cycle? It sounds like the tank is new enough that there shouldn't be much to stir up in the sand... It is just exchanging one "glass box" for another, isn't it? It is a royal PITA to have to do it, but how much of a factor would the cycle be? Suzi, hoping you are successful with the easier route of swapping out the lid, but thought I'd ask this question in case you are not.

bertoni
03/10/2008, 07:07 PM
Usually, swapping tanks doesn't cause much of a cycle, in my experience. Sometimes, something in the live rock dies, and causes problems. I'd be ready with Amquel and water for changes.

BLKTANG
03/10/2008, 07:17 PM
I dont see you having a problem by switching everything over into the new tank when it comes.

suzimcmullen
03/10/2008, 07:21 PM
Well one thing that could work in my favor is that I didn't put in enough of a sandbed. This would give me a chance to do that better.

The only other thing that's a "pita" grins... I have this all on my computer desk. I think I'll move my computer off the desk all together and the printer etc. Last time I set this up I nearly fried my computer sloshing water around.

Suzi