PDA

View Full Version : Normal for ph to drop alot in a day?

YayItsCola
03/10/2008, 07:38 PM
here's what happen I added some ph buffer 8.3 yesterday and the ph went to like 8.6 a bit overdosed I guess and then today it's at 7.94 normal?

BLKTANG
03/10/2008, 07:47 PM
If the tank is new let it adjust before trying to fix it.

Yes 8.6 to 7.9 is way to big of a PH swing.

YayItsCola
03/10/2008, 07:48 PM
the tank is 1 week old and is it cause it's new or is there a reason?

jdieck
03/10/2008, 07:58 PM
My best guess is that the alkalinity hit so high that it precipitated back as caclium carbonate dragging down the alkalinity the calcium and the PH.

You will need to test your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels and adjust their parameters to keep them within the recommended ranges.

BTW a PH buffer is an alkalinity buffer whichd oes little for your PH if your alkalinity level is already above 7 dKh (2.5 meq/lt) so after your addition if the alkalinity does not precipitate the PH goes back to your previous levels. If it precipitates it can break havoc in your tank.

Low PH is a sign of excess CO2 dissolved in the water. In new tanks CO2 is a result of the nitrification process, in more established tanks excess CO2 usually comes from excess CO2 in the surounding air, very common in tight closed houses.

demonsp
03/10/2008, 08:02 PM
PH and Alk will change from daily tank activity and then level at night. This is why its best to do your readings in the morning around the same time. Also innew tanks it take a few months for the tank to mature and this radings to level out.6 months to a yrs. So if your readings are in safe levels i would not try and correct just let your tank mature.

YayItsCola
03/10/2008, 08:07 PM
I see, thanks guys. I will probably go buy a kit tomorrow:)