PDA

View Full Version : What is the minimum tank size for a Mantis.

madamo
03/10/2008, 10:00 PM
Like the title says. I have a 2.5 gallon available. Is that too small?

cwoods8
03/10/2008, 10:45 PM
id say anything less than 10 gallons is cruel.......but on that note
it matters which kind you are getting.

you want a clubber.......they get a good size (peacocks)

slashers are usually smaller but not as open......usually hide.

get a cheap 10 gallon tank and get a peacock!:D

Gonodactylus
03/10/2008, 10:45 PM
It depends on the size of the stomatopod. A 25 mm gonodactyloid would probably be o.k.

Roy

Pea-brain
03/11/2008, 01:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12061248#post12061248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cwoods8
id say anything less than 10 gallons is cruel.......but on that note
it matters which kind you are getting.

you want a clubber.......they get a good size (peacocks)

slashers are usually smaller but not as open......usually hide.

get a cheap 10 gallon tank and get a peacock!:D

I don't mean to sound offensive, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Smashers are generally smaller than spearers, and require less room because you have to devote less tank depth to sand and burrowing substrate (Most available spearers). Peacocks need a 20 gallon tank when full grown at least. A 10 gallon would be suitable for N. wennerae, G. chiragra, G. smithii, G. viridis, G. etc. etc. A 5 gallon is suitable for a N. wennerae, G. smithii, G. viridis etc. etc. and a 2.5 gallon would be suitable to a small N. wennerae up to ~1.5 inches or so or a small haptosquillid, which aren't as active but can live in a 2.5 their whole lives comfortably. Stomatopod.com has a couple 1" N. wennerae available right now and they also have some haptosquillids (H. stoluria maybe, I forget). They have 15 or so haptosquillids but haven't released them to the site yet. Contact Billy through email at the stomatopod.com contact info or through the stomatopod.com forum if your interested in those and I'm sure that he will tell you when they will be available.

Dan