PDA

View Full Version : Durso Setup

maroun.c
03/11/2008, 01:51 AM
Hi.
My tank will have two return lines with Durso on them. Flow rate initially would be around 600-700 GPH and I might increase that in the future.
I would rather have one tube higher than the first one without a Durso on it this way it would act as a backup if the first one gets blocked and then the gurgle sound should alert me that something is wrong. Both tubes would be 1 inch. Do you think it's easier to set the flow for two tubes at the same height by closeing the valve on them till a good level of water is higher than the tube to cancel all the sounds or is it easier to ony have to set one tube while having the second one higher and only active if water level rises more?
I saw one tank at the LFS where the overflow only had two bulkheads draining the water without any tubes on them and the owner told me that he only played with the valve on both tubes till water went high enough to avoid sucking air and causing sounds. It was a very quiet setup.
Any input or description on how you set yours is appreciated.

aquaman67
03/11/2008, 04:24 PM
I set up a 300 gallon tank at a LFS with two 1.5 inch Durso's on a Mag 24.

I use plugs on top of the tees instead of a cap on the Durso's. They are cheaper and easier to replace if you mess up.

What I did was drill small holes in both caps. I enlarged the holes until I got the water level where I wanted it. The airholes don't have to be the same size in both caps. It's worked for years and the tank is still running although at another LFS that bought out the original LFS.

If you use one overflow as a drain, you might get some noise up through the empty pipe. Maybe not.

I think you are better off with two functioning overflows.