PDA

View Full Version : Selling Frags to make $

pallidamors
03/11/2008, 01:41 PM
I am about to buy my first house and have begun gathering stuff for a 75 gal build. Currently I have a 20long and was thinking about turning it into a prop tank. I would want to grow mainly soft corals and especially zoas. Is there any profit in this? I'm not talking about alot of $, but maybe a little on the side? Also I only have a 65w pc on it right now and would need to upgrade to some t-5's. What's a decent lighting fixture that would provide decent growth, but not break the bank?

magic028
03/11/2008, 01:57 PM
IMHO Tek T5s fixtures. Novas are decent.

jrod11
03/11/2008, 01:58 PM
I have talked to people that have only made enough to pay off the prop tank and cover some electrical expenses. not much lol

rickh
03/11/2008, 02:39 PM
I don't actively frag, but my leather corals are very promiscuous and are constantly dropping offspring. I usually attach them to a rock and sell them to the LFS for almost nothing. I have sold things on the local reef club web site but it's a pain in the @ss.
I can take a hand full frags to the LFS for ~$25 credit and be done with it. Or I can send a million emails coordinating meetings and waiting on strangers to come to my house to purchase the frags for maybe $75-$100. My weekend is worth more than that.

Propagation and trading among hobbyists is the best way to promote reef keeping, but I don't think you will make money, especially if you are purchasing hardware. R

robojet
03/11/2008, 02:41 PM
As a hobbyist, it only "helps" pay for it... but definitely no profit in it. You would need a fairly extensive and professional setup of many frag tanks to make a profit.

Aquarist007
03/11/2008, 03:17 PM
I agree the common ones are usually traded among reefers and not sold for too much
Now if you want to get into high end stuff that's a different story

www.wickedfrags.com