PDA

View Full Version : CR2 calcium reactor alive, help me set my pinpoint ph controller

Krazy
03/11/2008, 05:55 PM
OK. (ready to be confused like me?)

So I got my CR-2 dual calcium reactor plumbed in (tee'd off main return) and its running full of water, (no leaks, yay) and the co2 is hooked up (using 3 air-line check valves and a fitting into the bubble counter temporarly until mine comes from My reef creations in the next week or so)

Ok, here is where the questions start.

I have 1 bubble in the bubble counter every 3 seconds, what should my co2 guages be reading (jbj regulator) and then how many drips per 60seconds should I have out of my effluent drip into collection cup? (I have my ph probe for the controller in the effluent collection cup, also should I add an air pump to this with small air stone?) I also have the pan world pump that connects to the spray bar running 24/7, is that how I should keep it?

Here's where I really get confused as all hell....

(I know your thinking what a dummy, LOL)

Anywho...

I calibated the ph probe no problem (wow, something that was easy) and the ph was matching my display's ph monitoring. the effluents cup PH went down a little since I've had the co2 on with the reactor.

How do I set the pinpoint controller, I dont know how or what to set my high/low and ranges / center values at for this to all work together.

any and ALL help is greatly appericated.

If I dont get any bites here I will double post this in the equipment section.

Thanks,
Keith

Edit :

What should the ph controller ph say when I have it on the HIGH setting, and then what should it say when I have it on the LOW setting ?

Do I adjust just the range? or the center value as well? Seems I am retarded and got everything done OK until this part, I have it all on manually now. but the ph controller has its probe calibrated and ready to control my c02 regulator.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

DrDNA
03/11/2008, 06:33 PM
I may be able to answer a couple of your questions. Plug the CO2 solenoid into the outlet on the contoller that is closest to the cord. Slide the toggle switch to "High". Use a small standard screwdriver and adjust the "center value" to 6.7. Some may run their reactors at a higher or lower pH; this is just what works for me. Then, I just dialed the "range" to about the middle. Then, slide the toggle switch back to "read" to get your real-time pH reading.

As for the effluent rate etc, you'll have to determine that as you go to see what effluent rate keeps your KH stable.

Hope this helps!

PS - if you go to American Marine's website (they make the Pinpoint controllers) and search around, you will find a tutorial on how to use their controller with a calcium reactor.

Krazy
03/11/2008, 07:30 PM
OK, so I got the HIGH setting on the ph controller as 7.10 and when I switch it to LOW its at 6.70.

That creates a center value of 6.90 correct ??

This is what my settings should be at to make chamber 1 be 6.7 or so. (at least I think this is finally correct)

I am gonna see if I cant find that tutorial :)

Krazy
03/11/2008, 08:49 PM
should I run an airstone in the effluants collection cup ?

I have it doing 1 bubble every 3.5-4seconds and 58-60 drips per minute out of the eflluant. Sound about right?

ErikS
03/12/2008, 06:52 AM
Just make it simple, the only reason to even check the PH in the reactor is to prevent it from mushing = only the extreme.

CA reactors are simple, there is no reason to over complicate the issue. Start with a just broken stream effluent & work from there.

Now -

1) get tank CA/Alk in balance & at desired levels
2) Test ALK

3) Alk high (increasing)?
a) yes, drop bubble count
b) no, do nothing

4) Alk low (decreasing)?
a) yes, up bubble count
b) no, do nothing

Test Alk every 24hrs, repeat steps 3 & 4 until stable.

It's much easier to just use the bubble count to match the demand from the tank - trying to keep a specific PH in the reactor or use low (drops/ml per minute) effluent rates just gives one a headache

During the initial setup you may want to check the PH in the unit, if the demand is such that you come close to the mush point (media dependent) then just up the effluent a bit & repeat steps 3 & 4 as usual.

Krazy
03/12/2008, 12:24 PM
awesome info !