PDA

View Full Version : sump build

eran
03/11/2008, 09:03 PM
I have never had a fish only system before and want some ideas on how to set up a sump with bio balls. I don't have funds to do fowlr so I guess bio balls with a skimmer is the way to go? I guess my main question is how to set up a sump with bio balls and how many do I need for a 125gal tank. Maybe some pics would be a plus. Thanks:eek1:

Otogi
03/12/2008, 07:33 AM
there are many different brands out there that make Wet/dry (bio-balls) sump filters. I used one of these on my FOWLR at first

http://www.livingcolor.com/wet_dry_filters.cfm

but I recently changed it out for a Livingcolor fuge/sump set up. I am still new to the hobby myself, and by no means any kind of expert, So what I say here is only what I have have gathered through months of reading the Forums here on RC. I would suggest that even if your funds are limited don't skimp on the LR. You can buy a bunch of base rock (not live) for really cheap and then buy a few pieces of LR and let it seed the base rock overtime making it live, and saving you lots of money. You can also do this with your sand, get some sand you like and get a cup or two of established sand from a fellow reefer and seed your LS. From everything I have read LR may not be one of those absolutely must have things but it does do wonders and greatly helps in the filtration process.

IMO anything that helps filter and remove nutrients is a big plus especially with the large bio-loads from FO systems. I would imagine that you could go without LR as lots of people will just use dead coral for decoration, but I think with this kind of set up, having a skimmer rated for twice the tank size or more would be a must have. Also remember Bio-balls have the potential to become Nitrate factories(mass opinion, but doesn't always happen), though this is not always the case and many people have run systems perfectly for many years, sometimes never cleaning the bio-balls, it still is something to keep in mind.

good luck

ledford1
03/12/2008, 08:00 AM
Melev has a great site with info on sumps, plus a number of designs/layouts: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Once you have a sump, just dump in your bioballs. It doesn't really have to be a specific setup. You just want to have water moving through them.

eran
03/12/2008, 09:38 PM
Otogi: I thought about doing base rock and seeding it but I don't want to have to buy stuff over the net and there aren't many local stores that carry it here in kc. I do have a great skimmer though. I don't want to run bio balls and lr though just for the nitrate factor. I just want to do one of the 2.

ledford1: I thought maybe there was a specific way to build a sump with a section for bio balls for the water to trickle over. At least that is what a local fish store told me. I have a few sumps already that I could use but I need to see if i have to have them in its own section up out of the water with the water trickling over them. ?

ledford1
03/13/2008, 08:32 AM
So you're thinking of a trickle filter or wet/dry. You can do that.

You'd fill that first chamber with your bioballs with the idea of the bioballs being above the water line. Here are examples:
http://www.f3images.com/IMD/600/CR1311/CR1311_99.jpg
http://www.f3images.com/IMD/600/YPM5153/YPM5153_99.jpg

The water comes through the top of the first chamber. The water hits an acrylic plate drilled with lots of holes to disperse the water to maximize the coverage over the bioballs. The bioballs are elevated by another shelf (eggcrate would probably work). The water trickles down the bioballs and under the baffle into the next chamber.

You could follow that same setup, but I think you could just as well use about any sump design and pour in your bioballs as long as you have water movement through them.

FYI, bioballs can lead to nitrate issues rather than just LR. LR has deep pores and anaerobic areas that allow for the complete waste cycle to occur. Bioballs are very efficient, and converts waste very quickly. However, without the deep anaerobic areas, bioballs don't complete the processing of waste and stops at nitrates. Just wanted to make sure you understand that.

Bioballs are about the only way to go with FO setups, and they can work on FOWLR, but aren't a good idea for reefs because of the nitrate issue.

As for KC, surely someone has base rock.

It's been a couple of years since last visiting a few LFS in KC, but one I alwasy tried to stop in at was Paradise Aquatics in Overland Park. There was also place in the city, and now the name escapes me - it was north of the Westport area and over a few block around Main St. A lot of help, huh?

Anyway, there is a KC fish group, and getting plugged in with other hobbyists is always helpful. There is also a KC area Web site that may also help you:
http://fishheads.org/

eran
03/14/2008, 06:04 AM
ledford1: The tank is just going to be fish only. That sump design was more of what I was thinking. I actually sell some food to paradise aquatics and a few other salt water stores around the metro. The plave your couldn't remember is closed now. None of them have any and they say they don't stock it. I might just go with some marco rocks and skip the bio balls and call it a day. No one really frequents that fishheads site that much any more. There is another one call salt-city that seems to be the main kc group. thanks for the info