PDA

View Full Version : Wavemakers

urville
03/11/2008, 11:35 PM
Which systems do you have experience with? Which ones do you like best and why?

silverwolf72
03/11/2008, 11:54 PM
OceansMotions, currently running a super squirt compact with a Dart pump. Very well made design and adds nice random flow to the tank.

urville
03/18/2008, 01:03 PM
OK... well which systems do people reccomend, how about that?

Do they all do the same thing, or is there a better or worse situation?
I know waves are super beneficial, but if a SCWD technically does the same good job a controller does well then... why bother with a super expensive controller?

DarG
03/18/2008, 01:16 PM
You are talking about two different systems. In tank prop pumps or powerheads vs. a closed loop device. You need the controller to randomize the in tank powerheads or propellar pumps.

J-Burns
03/18/2008, 01:28 PM
I have seen the Tunze wavbox. It is real nice..just like ocean waves.

urville
03/18/2008, 09:41 PM
Yes two different systems attempting to do the same thing, which one is better? That's the question. Are they all acceptable? Any one over any other? Which ones make the best movement? Maybe one doesnt perform very well and costs 300 bucks while one that costs 100 is better?

DarG
03/19/2008, 08:00 AM
Neither one is better or worse. To randomize flow, both types cost more money than just moving water without randomization. The in tank pumps can cost much more than the closed loop devices when you go with DC pumps like Tunze and Vortech with their controllers compared to the closed loop water flow randomization devices. Closed loop is harder to change around once it's built because you usually have to re-plumb. In tank involves simply moving the pumps to different locations. The in tank pumps are capable of wider, gentler flow. The closed loop systems usually have multiple outlets that create more of a water jet type of flow.

urville
03/19/2008, 09:48 AM
Well.
In tanks pumps are also a bigger obstruction than elbows. I use a canopy so some up top plumbing wouldnt really hurt. PVC plumbing is easy and cheap.

I wish I could see the difference in the flow firsthand. I wonder if I could use a close loop with multi outputs and use plumbing that would fit those Hydor rotators and have enough outputs to not go over their gph ratings, or if that would even help the jet action.

I do like the tunze systems, as the pumps look smaller, but the pricing on these systems are much more expensive. I was thinking it'd be pretty cheap and easy to just radio shack a controller, but I cant make comparably cheap pumps.

hmmmm

hogall
03/19/2008, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12069692#post12069692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by urville
Which systems do you have experience with? Which ones do you like best and why?

I currently use Vortech (two) for my 130. I wish it would have a night sensor; so I don't have to turn the pump down at night.

The backup was cool; it give me 30hours of run time when power is out.

Anyone see the new Hydor Koralia Wavemaker? I lifted the pic from their website.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/170334Koralia_Wavemaker.jpg

DarG
03/19/2008, 10:23 AM
The Koralia system will be another good option when it comes out. But i dont think it will be cheap. You have to buy the DC controllable Koralia pumps to go with the controller. It should come in less than the Tunze systems but Im sure it'll still be over 500 bucks for two pumps and the controller.

I dont think I would call the in tank pumps an "obstruction". A couple of Vortechs dont tank up much space and arent really that unsightly. Neither are the Tunze really. They are visible though, but so are most of the outlets in closed loop systems although smaller and less obtrusive. I currently use a Vortech and a Koralia as well as a Tunze nano which is behind the rock work. Im going to add a second Vortech ... unless the Koralia system comes in at a lower price than I think it will.

I used a closed loop in my last tank. I just prefer the wider, gentler flow that the propellar pumps generate. They may require more maintenence and they cost more but the flow characteristics are worth it to me.

urville
03/19/2008, 11:40 AM
Arent vortechs like 419 a piece for the pumps alone? Yeah... I cant afford that.

I have two seio m620 powerheads, but.. when I look that up online it shows this huge rectangle. What I have is regular powerhead shaped only the front is a big 1 or 1/4 inch opening that contains the impeller which blows much like a koralia.

http://www.firststopaquatics.co.uk/acatalog/Picture092Thumb.jpg

I know alot of people use the Natural Wave power strip with Koralias, but I looked and that systems lowest setting is 20 seconds. I could be seeing this wrong in my head, but that seems like along delay. I heard the SCWD is approx. 7 seconds. The JBJ system is 10 and affordable though if power goes out you have to reset it, though I was thinking a power backup for my return pump and heater anyway, I could just add it to it.

DarG
03/19/2008, 12:00 PM
I have some 620's and I dont think the flow is much at all like the Koralias. And the koralias chatter on startup on regular on/off timers. So do the Seios.

The Vortech's are about 420 each with the controller.

You'll pay just as much or more for a pair of comparable flow Tunze and controller as you will a pair of Vortechs and controllers.
It aint cheap going with good in tank, controllable DC pumps.

tpenn187
03/19/2008, 12:13 PM
like darg said koralias chatter on start up on the wave strips and other wavemakers, but that is because they are not designed to run on any timmer setup. some people have been using them on wavemakers that will just slow the pumps down in stead of turning them on and off. i have heard mixed reviews on this as how effective it is. many people also use modded maxijets on a wave maker, this could be the cheapest way to go. i would love to get a pair of vortec pumps they are nice, i see them for sale in these forums for a good deal, 330 and up for wireless ones.

urville
03/19/2008, 02:21 PM
Yes the maxi-jets with the JBJ controllers are what I was actually planning, with battery backup just so they dont fault. When it goes out and they come back on for whatever reason they just all spray constantly.

urville
03/20/2008, 12:18 PM
I emailed JBJ and they said the new revision of their controllers is out in June and is now error free for anyone that wants to know...

Has anyone used the Red Sea, or the Natural wave ystem that sells with the maxijets?