PDA

View Full Version : LR and LS??

BassAssasin
03/12/2008, 02:26 AM
I have a 12g nanocube i just got (excited:D) and im just wondering what kind of sand bed i should go with how deep? and how much LR would be enough? i want alot of open places with caves/holes for creatures and corals! Just looking for some personal prefrences with pictures if possible, ive read 2-3" and 1lb/gal but thats sounds to cut and dry.

MSU Fan
03/12/2008, 08:51 AM
i prefer a shallow sandbed, maybe 1-2". I don't think a DSB will even work properly in a nano, but that's a different question. Go with whatever amount makes you happy. Whatever bag of sand you get, it will probably be way too much for the tank, so fill to a level that you like (mine is to the top of the bottom rim).

As for LR, 1-1.5lbs per gallon provides enough effective filtration for the tank. So you'll probably want to target 15lbs. But know in advance how you want it to look, and hand pick the pieces if possible.

Here's my FTS.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/Kirouacc/BC29-March102008006.jpg

BassAssasin
03/12/2008, 11:30 AM
Looks good and sounds good, i really like the look of yours with the sand and rock sounds like thats what i want, 1-2" and about 15lbs. Thanks alot!

fishwood
03/12/2008, 04:02 PM
15 lbs is probably fine, but live rock varies in quality in my opinion. Stuff that has a lot of surface area and porousness to it is superior to stuff that looks like lumbs of concrete. So it's best to pay attention to the character of the live rock in addition to the poundage.

BassAssasin
03/12/2008, 04:11 PM
Alright thanks, I was gonna look for the more porous of the rock and id like to have some flatter sheets to for aquascaping purposes. Thanks! Any recommendation on sand type?