PDA

View Full Version : To filter sock or not?

ozzman69
03/12/2008, 05:52 AM
I am designing my sump and wanted some opinions on weather to have my drain lines run in to a filter sock or not. Seems like a good way to trap large particles of dirt but cleaning seems like a extra work. any thoughts.

kzickovich
03/12/2008, 06:18 AM
Cleaning it wouldn't be to bad, just toss it in the washing machine. The good things about a sock are they catch alot of stuff and cut back the noise of the drain alittle. The bad thing is and this is why I don't use one is it catches way to many copods. I think if you don't have a mandarine fish get one they are nice I would but I have a big ol fat mandarine that has plenty to eat.

OneReef
03/12/2008, 07:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12070414#post12070414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kzickovich
The bad thing is and this is why I don't use one is it catches way to many copods.

If they made it into the sump, wouldn't the return pump chop them up upon the return travel?

sgarron
03/12/2008, 07:37 AM
No, they are small enough to get past the return pump. The skimmer will wipe some out though.

Brianr0131
03/12/2008, 09:09 AM
Socks are overall very helpful IMO. They do need to be changed weekly though sometimes more often depending on feeding habits.

kevin2000
03/12/2008, 09:36 AM
Socks are just another tool to get "crud" out of your system. I suspect many/most use - not much downside if you clean/change on a regular basis which is pretty easy.

Leosdad
03/12/2008, 11:46 AM
There has been a lot of discussion on this topic recently.

My GF went to fabric store and cut up and sewed me about 8 for my overflow drain. Cost about $6 total. I change them about every 2-3 days, and rinse the old ones out in water, then soak them in a bucket of diluted bleach water for a day, then rinse them again and let them air dry. I have noticed a big difference in the clarity of my water after about 2 months now. She just bought standard fabric felt to make them.

cdbias2
03/12/2008, 12:28 PM
One thing about the socks are that you don't have to use them all of the time. They are easy to remove and a blessing to have if you need it. They also eliminate micro bubbles.
Buy 3 or 4. It's a pain to do a load in the washer only washing one sock. If you have 3 or 4 you are much more likely to change them more often also.

DGlove904
03/12/2008, 01:50 PM
What does the sock do? What do you but in the sock, and where can I get it from.

cdbias2
03/12/2008, 04:54 PM
Foster and Smith sells the socks and the bracket to hold them and the drain hose.

ozzman69
03/12/2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.

I think i will put them in just to have and see how they do.

Thanks again:)

Larah
03/12/2008, 06:02 PM
I have 6 socks.. I bought them form Marine depot 200 microns 4" ring.. $6.99..
I change them every other day.. and believe me they need it!
I rinse in hot water them put in a bucket with hot water and a
CAP full of bleach.. Let it sit for a a few days then rinse..
I put them in a bucket with RO water and some prime, as a rinse,
because I'm paranoid about the bleach...
Then I let 'em air dry..

I do skip a day or 2 and don't run the sock at all...
it does make it a bit loud but...<shrug> Oh well....

macronut
03/12/2008, 06:19 PM
i love the socks! No more microbubbles in my tank!

lancer99
03/12/2008, 06:40 PM
Not to disagree, but....I disagree.

Natural processes will break down anything that might be caught by a filter sock, and the results will be in a form that can be further processed in your tank.

Removing them by mechanical filtration just means that you get the chemical by-products of what is, essentially, rot.

Of course, if you don't have a DSB or other means of adequately processing detritus, all bets are off.

-R

adnup
03/12/2008, 07:06 PM
I use 25 micron socks and change them EVERY DAY! It takes 2 seconds to change them and I put them in a bucket with some bleach until I have a weeks worth. Then a quick wash in the washing machine and they're ready to go again.

IMO its one of the best ways to keep the NO3 to a minimum BUT you should change them everyday