PDA

View Full Version : algae go away

cubsfan79
03/12/2008, 06:48 AM
I have no clue now,my tank has been up and running now for 5 months and im getting a huge outbreak of red slime or cyano algae,my calcium is 420, alk normal,water source ro/di 0 ppm,all testing is normal,running phosphate pouch in my canister,lights on for 7 hours only now for a month,water changes 10% weekly since the tank started,i have a clean up crew what could be the cause its really starting to get bad,covering everyhting in the tank.

snulma1
03/12/2008, 03:44 PM
I've found that over feeding and poor water circulation in an area will lead to cyano. Your best bet is to remove as much as you can during a water change and move your powerheads

Mappelbaum37
03/12/2008, 04:03 PM
Use a turkey baster and try and manually remove some cyano off the rocks. If not that, turn off the canister filter while doing a water change, then baster the rocks and once the algae is in the water column suck it up with a python or whatever you do your water changes with... Worked for me, although I am now dealing with diatoms and a mix of a little left over cyano and some green hair algae...You need to take control over the algae before it takes control over the tank. It's never going to be an algae free tank, but try to keep it as minimal as possible with large water changes, good flow and manual removal...Thats the advice I got from everyone...