PDA

View Full Version : Help

marcos1119
03/12/2008, 07:46 AM
Hi everyone, I am about to begin this hobby and with a 55 gal fish only tank. Can you guys give me any advice from live rock to the equipment. Thank you for all of the advice and please try to save me some bucks but with the best quality.

Aquarist007
03/12/2008, 07:54 AM
[welcome]

there are great readings on the first thread of this forum by Waterkeeper
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

papagimp
03/12/2008, 11:25 AM
Welcome!

Best advice I can give. Do plenty of research before purchasing anything. Know what fish go well together, what will get to large, weather or not it's even a specimen worth having or something that will most likely die in the near future. Get plenty of differnt opinions anytime you come to the forums to ask questions. Definatly spend some time reading through the newbie forum, it really does help to see that many others will be having the same concerns and questions that you will.

You already told us that you are starting a 55g, so now I'd suggest looking into the various other pieces of equipiment, and get us an idea of what your thinking as far as setting the whole thing up. We can go from there and point ya in the right directions or steer ya clear of any problems.

Defiantly look into a sump, makes a world of difference, RC has a nice DIY forum with all sorts of options that can save you loads of money.

Is there anyting in particular that you were wanting specifically for your tank? I mean, like did you go out watch finding nemo and now you want a pair of clownfish or something? Give us a little idea of why you want to have a fish only saltwater tank then sit back and enjoy the suggestions :D

Aquarist007
03/12/2008, 11:43 AM
I echo what Papagimp says plus besides our site this one is excellent for ideas:
and there is a 55gal as an example with lots of pics :)

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

papagimp
03/12/2008, 11:48 AM
oh, you wanna get into examples, lol, when ya notice someone who "sounds" like they have a decent setup or something you like, check through their photo albums. Not everyone posts pictures in there but many do and you can get all sorts of great idea's. Same with the Reefkeeping magazine, check out the tank of the month winners, all sorts of good ideas there. both stocking and setup, aquascaping, all that jazz.