PDA

View Full Version : How many fish in a 75g?

mxmarks
03/12/2008, 12:59 PM
Im thinking of finally adding fish today, and know planning is key. I promised my girlfriend we'd pick out the clownfish together Saturday, but today I wanted to get some things. I've been reading and researching, but I'm afraid of overstocking, and haven't found a set number of fish or size ratio that tells me what can live and be happy in my 75 gallon. So here's some questions:

It's a reef, so I was looking at some reef safe wrasses. Also, I think I'd like some kind of tang (I am so upset that I can't go the sailfin route - they're SO awesome), a blenny, and a gobie/shrimp combo. Plus a clown.

With all those, I was debating getting 4 green chromis today, as my first fish. I love the schoaling they do. But is this TOO many fish for a 75g?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

Toddrtrex
03/12/2008, 01:08 PM
I don't think that would be too many. However, I wouldn't count on the chromis staying together. Would be willing to bet that in short time you would be done to one or two.

mxmarks
03/12/2008, 01:13 PM
Why is that? Would another fish in that group I mentioned pick them off? Or do they die off easy?

Just curious. They're pretty cheap, kind of nice looking, and would be a good first fish to add to my tank for something nice to look at until I make up my mind on the rest.

Toddrtrex
03/12/2008, 01:16 PM
Oh, sorry I wasn't clear. They will actually pick themselves off, not the other fish you mentioned. It has happened to me first hand, and I have read numerous other posts from people saying the same thing.

Not saying things won't be different for you, but don't be surprised when the smaller, weaker ones start to disappear.

mxmarks
03/12/2008, 01:19 PM
Ah I see. Thanks a lot for your advice, I hadn't heard that yet. Good to know!

Tswifty
03/12/2008, 01:20 PM
Size, and swimming room will be a big determining factors of how many fish can live happily in your tank.

I wouldn't worry about other fish picking them off. Chromis tend to beat up on each other and pick each other off. I've heard the recommended groups to keep them in are 3,5, or 7. They're a nice addition to a tank, and relatively peaceful towards other inhabitants.

kevin2000
03/12/2008, 01:22 PM
My 02

When stocking ... you should considering adding fish slowly .. one or two a month is often recommended - this gives new tanks an opportunity to acclimate to the bioload. Also .. prior quarantine is just about mandatory in SW since most SW diseases are highly contagious and few can be treated in the show tank. Most SW fish are "wild caught" and QT allows you to acclimate them to captivity and help insure that your tank is disease free.

Chromis are popular fish among new aquarist ... but to be blunt they are very difficult to keep in a shoal and odds are pretty good that the leader will end up killing off the weakest fish until your left with one fish. Tangs are best kept in large mature tanks .. your tank is small (by SW std's) and obviously immature. Suggest you hold off on any tang until your tank matures and then only select one of the tangs that may survive in a 75 (yellow tang comes to mind).

Toddrtrex
03/12/2008, 01:23 PM
You're welcome

Here is a thread from the reef fish section,

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1332963

mxmarks
03/12/2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys. All those fish I listed above are what I'd like in my tank ultimatley - i guess I'm just planning way ahead. With all thats been said - the tang will be last (if ever).

I appreciate it, and think I may just add the lawnmower blenny today, and maybe a clown next week - than relax and enjoy them while I contimplate my next move. Thanks again!