PDA

View Full Version : is my todie going to die

Michael
03/12/2008, 01:07 PM
i have a brown toadstool soft coral that has been in my tank 5 and a half weeks, yesterday for some unknown and apparently ridiculous reason it decided to close, normally in the morning when i first go into the dining room to look at the tank before work, it is closed and brown looking, when i open the curtains it slowly opens and when lights come on it is fully open, gorgeous and thriving, since yesterday however it has turned a green type colour, and is still closed, the stalk is still erect though (no smutty comments please) and it seems fine except the top is green and closed, my parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.2, ph 8.2, phosphate undetectable, sg 1.025 and a half, kh 8.75, calcium 430, and magnesium 1770, i know the magnesium seems high but it always has and im at a loss why, could this be the problem, i doubt it, either way any help from you guys would be a start, i use tropic marin pro reef salt and everything else is fine, the tank looks great, smells clean and no nuisence algae is present, i only have 1 fish which has been in my tank for nearly 2 months and all water chemistry results seem ok, i am hoping it does recover, if someone out there has a idea about this situation please advice me, i will listen and will be grateful, many thanks, mikeydj

lancer99
03/12/2008, 01:52 PM
It's probably just "skinning" -- many softies will periodically grow a "skin," then shed it the next day or a couple of days later. It's their way of getting rid of any micro-algae or other organisms that overgrow them.

If it's dying, you'll know quickly...it will turn to mush.

-R

Michael
03/12/2008, 02:52 PM
thank you for replying, i will wait and see