PDA

View Full Version : Question about chiller for a Nano with no sump...

lunarlanderboy
03/12/2008, 05:39 PM
Hey guys I have the nano cube 24dx and I am going to buy a 1/10hp Arctica chiller for it and I wanted the chiller to be like 8 feet away from the tank. How would I go about doing this plumbing from my nano if I have no sump? Do I have a pump in the nano tank - or an external pump on a closed loop that pulls water out and pushes it through the chiller and then back in again?

ggk1988
03/12/2008, 09:44 PM
Why so far away from the tank? Noise or space issue? Have you looked at nanocustoms.com?I believe they make chillers to fit in the NanoCubes.

lunarlanderboy
03/14/2008, 03:24 PM
yeah - I like the way my nano looks in the room and I don't want to have a big clunky chiller next to it - but its right next to a bookshelf so I could hide the plumbing behind that back along the wall and go to the chiller on the other side of the room.

bad santa
03/14/2008, 08:32 PM
it wont be 8 feet, your going to find a pump that can handle 16 feet. Youre going to have to rethink your chiller placement as its too far. If you dont want to do the big chiller then get the chiller probe and install it in the back of the nano and get a few more fans to cool your tank.

lunarlanderboy
03/16/2008, 05:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12093258#post12093258 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bad santa
it wont be 8 feet, your going to find a pump that can handle 16 feet. Youre going to have to rethink your chiller placement as its too far. If you dont want to do the big chiller then get the chiller probe and install it in the back of the nano and get a few more fans to cool your tank.

Why is it too far exactly? Are you saying that I would need too powerful of a pump to pump that distance and still have the recommended flow for the chiller? If I had a sump that was far from the tank and I connected the chiller to the sump that would work right?

redline
03/16/2008, 09:44 PM
it depends on how high the tank is from the pump, and how far will determine how powerful a pump you are going to need to create the pressure to pump the water the distance and then up against gravity back into the tank..without a sump, in a closed loop then all the water stays the same, you just won't move the water. I had my chiller outside, because i didn't like the heat it made, but i was using a big external pump to handle the distance. I was going 6 feet horizontal, and 6 feet vertical.

bad santa
03/16/2008, 10:45 PM
with a sump you gan get away with a larger pump . If your planning on putting your pump in the back chambers of your tank then you are never going to find a pump powerfull enough to pump water tothe chiller and back.

lunarlanderboy
03/17/2008, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12108555#post12108555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bad santa
with a sump you gan get away with a larger pump . If your planning on putting your pump in the back chambers of your tank then you are never going to find a pump powerfull enough to pump water tothe chiller and back.

yeah - I thought that would be the case (that I wouldn't be able to find a big enough one to fit in the back, since it's a nano) but I was thinking that on a closed loop leaving the tank and then coming down to the floor to a big pump and then going to the chiller and then back in the tank - that it would be able to work - but maybe like you're saying, the size of the pump I would need would be really impractical. I need to using one of those head calculators...

kalare
03/17/2008, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12077095#post12077095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ggk1988
Why so far away from the tank? Noise or space issue? Have you looked at nanocustoms.com?I believe they make chillers to fit in the NanoCubes.

I second this guy. Why not just get a nanocustoms chiller with controller. Will probably do the trick. A large chiller on a nano is just impractical with no pump space. If you want it that far away, the large pump you use to power it will probably heat the water so much the chiller will be on all the time anyways.

lunarlanderboy
03/17/2008, 04:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12111399#post12111399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kalare
I second this guy. Why not just get a nanocustoms chiller with controller. Will probably do the trick. A large chiller on a nano is just impractical with no pump space. If you want it that far away, the large pump you use to power it will probably heat the water so much the chiller will be on all the time anyways.

The nanocustoms chiller which sits in the back would be a perfect solution - but do you really think that it will cool down my nano when ambient temps are in the high 80's? It would be awesome if it would but somehow I doubt it. It has only "up to" 125 BTU/h. Right now when the ambient is at 80 in my house the tank is at 84 degrees.