PDA

View Full Version : Ozone question...

brittlestar08
03/12/2008, 09:57 PM
I think this is a bit advanced for most folks and this is why I post here. I own a red sea ozonizer. I also run silica gel beads in an air dryer to boost efficiency on the ozone. The problem is that the air pump delivering the air enriched ozone runs 24/7. Is there any way to have it comeon only when the ozonizer reaches a turn on point? becasue it runs all the time it is using up the silica super quick. Is there some sort of controler that I can purchase that can detect when the ozonator comes on??? any help with this would be appreciated. thanks

erikages
03/12/2008, 10:13 PM
I've simply plugged the ozonizer and the air pump (via a two-jack plug) into the controller plug (Profilux). That way, if the redox probe and settings activate the ozone, the air pump and ozonizer switch on together. Very simply done.

What kind of controller do you use? If you can attach it to a plug, then simply use a two-recepticle plug.

Erik

Monstrigity
03/12/2008, 10:36 PM
Same as above. when the controller supplies power to the outlet they will both turn on. Simple as that.

brittlestar08
03/13/2008, 12:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12077350#post12077350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by erikages
I've simply plugged the ozonizer and the air pump (via a two-jack plug) into the controller plug (Profilux). That way, if the redox probe and settings activate the ozone, the air pump and ozonizer switch on together. Very simply done.

What kind of controller do you use? If you can attach it to a plug, then simply use a two-recepticle plug.

Erik

sorry... I think I understand the concept. but I need more info. please. I use the red sea aquazone plus 100 ozonizer which has a probe conected to it and a digital readout and conrols. the air pump feeds air to the back of the unit and it delivers ozone to the protine skimmer.

I guess my question is if you can recomend a cheap controler for this task alone. I looked at profilux but thats way more than I'd like to spend. Not sure what a two-jack plug is... Is that a regular 2 outlet plug thinkgy in the wall? LOL sorry.

anyway, is there a simple device that would controle this unit? for say $100- $150??? thanks again for any recomendation.

brittlestar08
03/13/2008, 12:11 AM
heres what the net comes up on two jack plugs... is this them?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Jack_plug.png/800px-Jack_plug.png

brittlestar08
03/13/2008, 12:26 AM
here's the unit I own...
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~RS3653.html
The problem is that it already has a built in redox controler for the delivery of ozone to a given set point. However, it does not control the air pump. IE no where to plug the air pump into the unit so you must plug the air pump into a wall recepticle and the unit to another wall receptilce.

So I need some sort of device that would detect the start of ozone and control the air pump individually. thansk

erikages
03/13/2008, 08:23 AM
Hmm. I'd take the Red Sea 100 with controller to a good electronics shop and get them to add some kind of switch to the unit. I have the red sea 100, but not with the controller built in -- the controlling functions are in the Profilux, which controlls everything by means of digital power bars -- but this is expensive I admit.

I try the electronics route: consult someone who can add a switch for your air pump.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out!

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/13/2008, 09:52 AM
You need to be very careful that your setup can handle just shutting down the air. If there is backpressure on the system, and the air shuts down, water can travel backwards up to and backwards through the ozone generator. I've had it happen.

I put my ozone generator several feet above my ozone reactor to prevent this from happening, but that may not always be an option.

In my system, I run the air and ozone full throttle 24/7 since the ORP never gets too high. I also do not dry the air. :)

snorvich
03/13/2008, 03:32 PM
Agree with Randy. I have check valves in strategic places but I never turn off the air, only the ozone. Both tanks do not run the ozone at maximum capacity (40%) and both tanks have ORP controllers set at 380.

erikages
03/13/2008, 03:46 PM
Absolutely agreed: My air and ozone unit are on a shelf 2 feet above the sump so there's no way back flow is possible. Water in your ozone unit will kill it permanently...and I suppose there's a fire risk, too.

As a general rule, all plugs and electrics should be mounted above tanks. Easily done with good machine-shop powerbars (the long metal ones that run about 3-4 feet long and mount along the walls of your fish room). If you don't have a fish room, just make sure you've got backstop valves (and don't trust them!) in addition to loops to stop drips.

Cheers,
E

zachtos
03/14/2008, 09:21 AM
cheapest ozone controller (http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/) - The SMS510 model and a orp probe should run you less then $200. I would be scared to run ozone w/o a controller personally, but I've heard if you undersized the ozonator that it will never be able to pass a certain orp, as long as it can't pass the upper acceptable limits that is.

brittlestar08
03/25/2008, 02:41 PM
sorry about the late responce... yes, i have my ozone reactor and my air pump higher than the tank on a shelf.

I contacted red sea and unfortunately, and to my surprise they offered me no solution in air pump automation. So, i have no choice but to runthe air pump 24/7. Its just inneficient as the silica beads get wated not to mention wated energy consumption. seems to me like a design flaw or oversight in thier units. The unit mentioned above by "Zachtos" I think would offer a solution but it just seems silly and redundant as far as having two ORP monitors now.

Just that spending upwards of $400 on a unit that does not do what its supposed to and having to spend an additional $200 on a redundant monitor just to shut off an air pump kinds stinks... KNow what I mean? AND the unit came with air drying media mind you. kind of an oxi-moron thing...

Thanks all for your contributions. I was just going through the tank systems and trying to upgrade and streamline everything when I came to this issue.

BTW, if anyone is interested I purchased a two stage water filter ($50) with refilable cartridges which I use as an air dryer and it works like a charm. This was a great improvement over the air dryer that came with this ozonizer. the old one was too small of a capacity and would open releasing silica beads under pressure.
Just thought I'd share my thoughts if anyone is interested.

thanks again all

erikages
03/25/2008, 02:52 PM
A shame about the air pump thing. With a controller like Profilux, for example, it's easy to hook up things to coincide with one another. But I gather you've got an ozone unit that also monitors orp.

You COULD take your unit to a good electrician and s/he would be able to rig it with a switching option, I'm sure. Have you considered this? It would likely void your warranty, but it would solve your problem, and who knows, it might be a very simple thing in the end (for an electrician, I mean).

Erik

brittlestar08
03/25/2008, 04:12 PM
I considered it yes and still do... However, I checked on milwalki's monitor and it can be had for $125 and somehow I think an elecrician will take more.