PDA

View Full Version : Live sand

MaineReef22
03/13/2008, 05:52 AM
ok ive had my red sea max going for a couple months now i got substrate with it so ive had that in there then i got 22 lbs of fiji live rock which ive had curing for a week now and its looking preety good then i found a good deal on 20 lbs of fifji pink live sand so i got that i wanted to know if i should take the substrate out and put the live sand in or put it in on top or if i should of even bought the live sand already having substrate please reply quick

kzickovich
03/13/2008, 06:11 AM
How thk. is your sb now without the new sand? I've seen people with a six inch sand bed before. although most people run about 4 inch.

Blown 346
03/13/2008, 07:21 AM
You can just take the Livesand and place it directly over your existing sand. I wouldnt add it all at once, your current sandbed im sure has plenty of life in it by now. You dont want to smother that life with more sand. Add a thin layer and wait a few days, than another layer etc until its gone.

Aquarist007
03/13/2008, 08:11 AM
if you do not want a sand storm either--then get a piece of one inch pvc pipe that is long enough to go to the bottom of the tank, put a funnel in the other end and you can add the sand directly to the bed without the sand storm.
this helps you add a small layer at a time over the substrate as blown346 suggested